Turkey’s startups are just beginning to change the lives of users with online tools on their smartphones, tablets, and computers that make daily life just a bit easier. With successful apps like BiTaksi, which allows users to call a cab from wherever they may be, Turkish entrepreneurs have now taken on the world of food. From programs that allow you to order gourmet food items or even a last minute meal, here are some of the tastiest confluences of food and technology in Turkey.
The healthy meal delivery service Meal Box aims to replace fast food with traditional and healthy Turkish cooking for a generation of young people and families that have grown accustomed to eating out. Unlike Yemek Sepeti, one of Turkey’s most popular fast food delivery websites, Meal Box controls the entire process from cooking to delivery so that deliveries are of the highest quality but at affordable prices. All meal boxes are prepared and assembled in one kitchen after which trucks transport them to 20 franchised delivery centers very early in the morning. Since Istanbul is a huge city, these franchise centers are able to deliver hot meals within 30 minutes of every order.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Translating to ‘what’s available,’ Eldekilerle is a website dedicated to sharing recipes according to the ingredients you happen to have in your kitchen. Once you sign up, the website allows you to enter the ingredients you have available for recipes that adhere to your personal tastes and are easy to make. By liking recipes, the website also gets to know your preferences, suggesting better solutions every time according to your personal palatal whims. Eldekilerle also allows users to share their own recipes, follow friends’ selections and likes, and view calories for every proposed meal.
Founded in 2012, Nefis Gurme allows users to scan one of Turkey’s largest portfolios of gourmet food items online and have them delivered to their homes. A great place for home chefs that require specific ingredients for their meals, Nefis Gurme has a vast array of available products. The menu includes international foodstuffs, including Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Spanish, and Greek; seafood and charcuterie items; oils and sauces; breakfast food items; pasta and baked goods; healthy eating options; dessert and patisserie; gourmet fruit and vegetables; and drinks. Some of the standouts include French mushrooms, black truffle oil, and Bottarga (to name just a few).
Not just a food service, Getir is an app that will bring almost anything straight to your door. Established by Nazım Salur, the founder of BiTaksi, Getir is the delivery service that you will quickly recognize on the streets of Istanbul from the many scooters with the dark purple logo. Available for free for smartphone users, the app can determine your location and deliver to wherever you are. From food and drink to personal items, home goods, and baby products, Getir has more than 200 items to choose from so that you don’t have to leave the house. The app also allows users to see the identity and route of the courier, virtually eliminating all confusion and waiting in vain.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.