The fantastically unique landscape of fairy chimneys, troglodyte villages and surreal volcanic rock formations begs to be explored on foot. From the Red and Rose Valley to Meskendir near Göreme, explore Cappadocia via these top hiking routes.
Cappadocia is a hiker’s paradise, and you can now explore it with Culture Trip on our exclusive 12-day Turkey adventure. Winding trails make their way through ethereal stone towers and rugged canyons. With various towns and villages conveniently located near all the main hiking trails, it’s easy to explore. The hikes are generally quite short, and there are plenty of makeshift stalls to keep you fed and hydrated along the way. The dramatic beauty of the scenery here has to be seen to be believed, so we’ve chosen eight of the best trails to get you started.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’ve only got time for one hike in the area, make it this one. The Rose Valley trail loops around, connecting to the Red Valley on this short 5km (3mi) walk. The views across the valley are truly remarkable at any time of day, with the curious pink-hued rock formations changing colour as the sun journeys across the sky. Most visitors arrive in time for sunset when you can enjoy the last golden rays of the sun imbuing the extraordinary lunar landscape with a soft reddish glow.
If you’re not up for a long hike then the Meskendir Valley, near Göreme, is ideal. It’s a short 4km (2.5mi) walk through surreal rock formations, typical of the region, with hermit’s caves and hand-carved pigeon houses adding to its attraction. The soft multi-coloured sandstone has been carved into tunnels in parts and offers cool respite from the scorching sun. For a longer walk, you can extend by joining the Red and Rose Valley at its conclusion.
You can’t help but smirk when you see how Love Valley gained its moniker. Large, phallus-shaped rock formations bulge indecently all along the valley, making it a popular tourist attraction (and marriage proposal spot). The walk to Uchisar Castle is not a long one, but don’t look for turrets and battlements; the “castle” is hewn from rock at the highest point in Cappadocia, with a maze of rooms interconnecting throughout this other-worldly citadel.
Pigeons have been used in the Cappadocia region since ancient times, both for food and to fertilise the soil. Owners carved homes for their feathered friends in the soft volcanic rock and they’re particularly abundant in this valley. Although you won’t see as many pigeons now as once flocked here, their homes remain, pockmarking the rocky pillars. The hike is an easy one, with Christian churches and abandoned cave dwellings to explore on the way.
For a break from the dusty hot rocks of the Cappadocian landscape, come to the Ihlara Valley, where the Melendiz River cuts through this 16km (10mi) gorge. Lush and green, you can relax under the leafy canopies by the river and enjoy a tranquil moment, disturbed only by the croaking of frogs and buzzing of dragonflies, before continuing a gentle hike in this gloriously verdant place.
Begin your day with breakfast at the shady Zemi Cafe, situated at the start of the trail, before walking the wide sandy path into the rocks. Expect high arches, cave dwellings complete with the requisite rock art and a small stream inhabited by a few ducks and geese. Much of the trail is shaded by overhanging trees, providing welcome relief from the fierce rays of the Turkish sun.
The Zelve Open Air Museum encompasses three valleys, the first of which was once an incredible cave city, home to one of the largest communities in the region. The rocks are a honeycombed maze of religious and secular caves, where Christians and Muslims used to live side by side in harmony. The last residents left as recently as the 1950s due to erosion, but much of the city is still intact.
A visit to the Zelve Valley is included as part of our specially curated 12-day trip to Turkey, and takes around two hours to walk the entirety of the three valleys, but don’t rush; this is an astonishing place.
You won’t find cave churches, castles, troglodyte villages or Roman tombs in what’s known as Imaginary Valley. Instead, the attraction here lies in the small fairy chimneys that pepper the landscape and which have seemingly morphed into a sculptural safari park. Camels, snakes, seals and dolphins are easy to spot among the rocky formations. Allow your imagination to run wild and see what you can spy at this rocky zoo.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.