When Polish settlers sought refuge in Turkey after the invasion of Poland, Polonezköy (known as Adampol in Polish) was founded in 1846 from an idea conceived by the Chairman of the Polish National Uprising Government, Adam Czartoryski. With only twelve people at the beginning, the village soon grew with Polish settlers as well as Siberian runaways and emigrants from the 1848 revolutions and the Crimean War. Even though many inhabitants returned to their native lands after Polish independence in 1918, others took on Turkish citizenship in 1938 and the village started receiving its first tourists before WWII. Famous names such as Franz Liszt, Gustave Flaubert, and Musta Kemal Atatürk all visited the village and by 2002 it celebrated its 160th anniversary.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What to Do
Make sure to take part in the annual summer festival (in June) where traditional Polish folk music and dance revive the village’s historic roots and its cultural ties to Poland. Another important sight in terms of Polonezköy’s history is the Our Lady of the Czestochowa Church as well as the Zofia Ryzy Museum right across the church, also one of the village’s oldest houses of typical Polish architecture, which exhibits photographs, books, and documents about the history of Adampol-Polonezköy. For nature lovers, the nature park and its 5km trekking and hiking path is an essential experience, while the Polonezköy Zoo inside the Country Club is a great activity for families with children.
Where to Stay and What to Eat
Located in a historic wooden house with a beautiful garden, Leonardo’s is one of the favorite spots for dining in Polonezköy. With a terrace that overlooks the nature park and the restaurant’s own evergreen garden, the menu has classic Turkish meze as well as Polish dishes such as beet salad, Polish style trout with fresh herbs, steak a la Polonaise, and selyodka (dressed herring).
One of the oldest and most established hotels in Polonezköy, the Country Club offers rooms as well as small houses for four-eight guests with a garden and barbecue. Apart from the outdoor pool, ping-pong tables, and tennis, volleyball, and basketball courts, the hotel also has a playground and a small lake all overlooking the beautiful nature park. As for the food, the country club’s picnic area allows for hotel guests as well as visitors to dine on classic Turkish dishes in the great outdoors. Did we mention the zoo? The country club’s own zoo started as a hobby and turned into a small collection of freely roaming animals from kangaroos to flamingos and much more.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.