Even though Turkey has just begun to make its mark in the fashion world, it certainly has an abundance of stops for the style-conscious masses who are not afraid to put down some rather notable monetary figures. From its epic department stores to up-and-coming designers and their boutiques, we travel from shopping malls to cobble stoned side streets to present you with the best.
When Turkey’s prime luxury department store Beymen opened a 10,000-square meter space in Zorlu Center ( Istanbul’s most upscale shopping center) the fashion conscious rushed to its doors. From top international brands to its in-house designs, you’ll especially fawn over their beautiful collection of shoes. The gargantuan space has everything from menswear to womenswear, ready-to-wear to couture, accessories to books; so be prepared to enthusiastically browse for an extended period of time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Turkey’s first luxury fashion brand, Vakko began its life as a hat shop in 1934 opening its first store in Beyoğlu in 1962. Far from its hat making days, Vakko is famous for its own line of ready-to-wear and couture fashion, 100% silk scarves with bold colors and motifs, and even its own chocolate. The Zorlu Center branch has an especially dramatic presence, with a black and white checkered floor that acts like a museum with gorgeous objects on display you can actually purchase.
Represented in both Milan and Paris, Dilek Hanif chose to stay close to her Turkish roots by keeping her atelier in Istanbul. In a beautiful apartment located in Nişantaşı, the city’s fashion neighborhood, you can browse through her latest collection, which always abides to a more classic aesthetic. With both ready-to-wear and haute couture, Hanif’s clean lines and subtle embellishments speak of a matured style with unique touches.
With showrooms in Istanbul and Paris, Arzu Kaprol has made quite a name for herself since the beginning of her career in the 90s. You’ll find bold creations that don’t shy away from asymmetry, sharp geometric cuts, and an overall futuristic demeanor. Not to say Kaprol’s clothes are too brave to be worn on a regular basis, but they definitely add a little somethin’ somethin’ to life’s daily grind.
It comes as no surprise that the owner of this gorgeous boutique used to serve as publishing director of Marie Claire Turkey. Fatoş Yalın’s collection of clothes at Fey are entirely reminiscent of Italian films of the 1960s, with flowing skirts in bright colors, button down shirts tied at the waist, vintage jewelry, colorful capri pants, and leather bags with silk scarves wrapped around their handles. You’ll not only find creations by famous Turkish designers but also hand picked vintage pieces from all over the world.
We’re hesitant to call Gönül Paksoy’s design clothing because they are more along the lines of veritable art pieces with a definite nod to the past. Only using hand-dyed and hand-sown fabrics, the striking collection seems to be inspired by the garments worn by Sufi dervishes, flowing and playing with the intricate details of traditional fabrics. If your fashion sense leans toward costume like apparitions that will definitely turn heads, Paksoy is your gal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.