One of the premier destinations on the Turkish Riviera, Bodrum in Muğla Province is an ancient coastal city that once boasted one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Today there are a number of exciting hotels, resorts and local attractions to entice visitors but here’s why a stay at The Bodrum EDITION will tick all these boxes and more.
OK, that might be an oversell given that the ultra-chic and thoroughly modern hotel only recently opened, but if you use this luxury property as a base for exploring more of the area you’ll find yourself enjoying a relaxing escape that is hard to beat. From what’s left of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus – the ancient wonder we referenced earlier – to buzzing fishing villages with more eateries than you could ever wish for, Bodrum is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Türkiye for good reason.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where to stay in Bodrum
The Bodrum EDITION makes the most of the natural landscape that surrounds it with rooms offering unbeatable views onto the turquoise Aegean sea. That’s not just us adding some colourful hyperbole either, the Turkish Riviera is also known as the Turquoise Coast. You can head all the way to Antalya, another well known city on the sea, but Bodrum has so much to offer that if you’re just here for a short time you’ll want to stay put and make the most of the trip out to Southwest Turkiye.
The hotel makes use of neutral local stone colours to help keep the temperature down across its sprawling setting which you get a sense of as you descend towards the rooms and outdoor spaces from the stunning reception.
Make sure you try the gelato offered to guests on arrival as it’s a fantastic taste of what’s to come. Local cuisine and high-end international fare, as is the EDITION way, will satisfy you on your stay but trust us this ice cream is worth a return trip alone!
There are private villas, pools and a four-bedroom residence to keep the more exclusive clientele happy, but all the 108 rooms welcome you in with an effusive fervour that never lets up. There are a number of bars on the way down to the private beach if you need to stop off for a cold drink and a number of restaurants on site serve incredible dishes from award-winning chefs.
Another nod to local culture here is the spa, which offers a traditional hammam experience. If you’ve ever tried one of these before, or are just curious, this is a great introduction to a central part of Turkish life. Slightly less traditional but still in keeping with the wellness initiatives here, this season sees a new partnership with Urban Active and the launch of a full-body spinning class. You have to earn that beach time somehow, I suppose.
Bookings for the hotel are now open. Rates start from €400 per room per night.
Here are a few other things to try in Bodrum, if you can tear yourself away from the easy comfort of this incredible hotel.
Things to do in Bodrum
Tourism is big business here so expect all the comforts and pitfalls that go with such destinations. Typical of the Southern Mediterranean, the beaches here are outstanding. Bodrum Beach and Gumbet Beach are relatively central with a bit more planning needed for Kadikalesi Beach. The latter is great for small town trinkets and local dishes.
If you want a quick and cheap day out, head to one of the sandy coves dotted along the coast and you can’t go wrong. If you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, hop on a boat and do a day trip to one of the small islands off the shore for complete seclusion.
Bodrum Amphitheatre is a great stop for anyone looking for a cultural activity whereas a more historically significant site is the ruins of the tomb of Mausolus. The ancient wonder is believed to have been felled by an earthquake in the 15th century, but you can still get a sense of the scale of the mausoleum by looking around what is left.
If you’re after a more ‘party’ atmosphere then Bar Street is full of cheap and cheerful tourist places where you can grab drinks and easy bites to eat. You can also hire a yacht or catamaran for the day and do more of the same, but it’s a shame not to use this opportunity to explore the coast rather than just soak up the sun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.