Behramkale, also known by its ancient name Assos, is a historic town that’s hidden away in Turkey’s Çanakkale province. With beautiful views of the sea, the stunning remains of the historic area await to be discovered in the summer sun.
Aristotle left the Platonic Academy in Athens and moved to Assos, where he was warmly welcomed by King Hermias, and became the city’s most famous resident. After opening an academy, Aristotle became head of a group of philosophers and also married Pythias, the king’s adopted daughter. By the time the Persians attacked the city and killed the king, Aristotle fled to Macedonia, where he tutored the son of Philip II–who happened to be Alexander the Great.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nowadays, Assos is a beautiful seaside town with colorful houses and many historic ruins that overlook the perfectly blue Aegean waters. Hike up to the ancient Temple of Athena to get a good view of the whole area, including the nearby island of Lesbos, Pergamon, and Mount Ida (on a very clear day). On the northwest side of the archeological site you’ll also come across the two large Hellenic columns marking the ancient city’s entrance. However, one of the most striking remains is the well-preserved Assos theater, built for 5000 spectators. In its heyday, Assos was one of the most important shipping stations on the Adramyttian Gulf, and was originally founded by the Aeolian colonists from Lesbos around 1000 or 900 BCE.
It was during the rule of Hermias that the city was the most prosperous. The king’s fondness for philosophers meant that great thinkers like Aristotle were encouraged to move there and spread their wisdom. By 334 BCE, the Persians who had attacked the city and tortured the king to death were pushed out by the forces of Alexander the Great. Between 241 and 133 BCE, Assos was under the rule of the Kings of Pergamon, until it was taken over by the Roman Empire. During this time, the prosperous city decreased into the small yet idyllic village that it is today, with the remnants of its past scattered all around.
A lot of the precious remains of Assos, such as its art, can be viewed at museums like the Louvre in Paris. However, Behramkale is still a beautiful discovery. What remains of Assos are six of the 38 original columns, the Temple of Athena, the Assos theater, the city wall and main gate, a paved road, agora, and gymnasium. By the old port, you’ll find colorful old stone houses that have mostly been converted into pensions and restaurants, where visitors can enjoy the beauty of the Aegean Sea, including taking a dip at the small beach or taking a boat tour.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.