Bozcaada is an idyllic Aegean island that has stayed far away from the usual tourist-luring tricks, allowing for its natural charm to attract visitors. Also known as Tenedos, the former Greek island is full of cobblestoned streets, old rustic homes with colorful windowpanes, deserted sandy beaches, excellent vineyards, and traditional tavernas under the grapevines. Before you make your reservation at one of the island’s many pansiyons, make sure you check out our useful Bozcaada guide.
Where to eat
Make sure to drop by the Rengigül Konukevi, a traditional Greek home turned quaint hotel with one of the best breakfasts on the island. With more than 21 varieties of marmalade – including the island’s famous tomato jam – as well as other delicacies, you’ll definitely have more than enough to choose from. If you’re in the mood for a coffee break then head to the island’s famous Tarihi Bozcaada Kahvesi, a historic coffee house where the mastic cookies have become famous among the regulars. For dinner, the island’s traditional fish restaurants in the lively city center offer the best of the daily catch as well as a myriad of freshly made meze varieties – and don’t forget the rakı.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tarihi Bozcaada Kahvesi, Cumhuriyet Meydani, Bozcaada, Turkey, +90 286 697 0436
Even though Bozcaada is known more for its Grecian aesthetic and laid-back island feel (that many city dwellers crave in the summer), it does have a few sights worthy of exploration. Walk to the city center (Bozcaada Merkez), composed of a beautiful square that branches out to the taverna-lined streets, and make sure to see the old Greek houses in this elegant town that was built on a grid plan along a slight slope. Check out the island’s main museum that exhibits both the Greek and Turkish history of Tenedos. The Bozcaada Castle is also quite beautiful and stands out because of its well-preserved state, serving as the island’s only touristic monument. One of the largest citadels in the Aegean, the castle was expanded by the Byzantine, Genoese, Venetian, and Turkish civilizations who occupied the island successively.
Bozcaada Museum, Cumhuriyet Mahallesi, Lale Sokak No.7, Bozcaada, Turkey, +90 532 215 6033
Bozcaada’s famous vineyards sometimes overshadow the fact that its beaches are also very beautiful, with cold waters that are perfect for the hot summer months. Ayazma is the island’s most popular beach because of its soft, white sands, sometimes becoming a bit too crowded in the high season. If you’re on the lookout for something a bit more relaxed, check out Akvaryum, which is also known for its vivacious underwater life.
No Bozcaada guide would be complete without mentioning the island’s famous wine culture and vineyards. Some of the most renowned brands include Corvus, Ataol, Amadeus, and Talay and can be found at one of the many island wine boutiques. If you’re looking for more in-depth information make sure to contact the vineyards for a tour of the facilities. With a grape culture that goes back to ancient times, the island’s native varieties include Kuntra, Karalahana, Vasilaki, and Cavus.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.