Turkish people are known for their hospitality, but there are so many other factors that tend to make a fan out of anyone who meets them. From their amazing cooking skills to the high value placed on friendship and family, here are some endearing qualities the people of Turkey share.
Keen to visit? You can experience the best Turkey has to offer as part of a small group of like-minded travellers by joining Culture Trip’s specially curated 12-day Turkey adventure, led by our local insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Their fantastic cooking skills
One element that every visitor to Turkey will talk about extensively is the amazing food – and Turkish people sure know how to cook. Whether whipping up a home-made meal or an upscale tasting menu, Turkish people have a true talent for creating amazing dishes.
Hospitality is first and foremost what Turkish people are known for, and almost every visitor will have some story about a kind person who helped them or even invited them into their home for a meal with the family. You’ll soon come to find that Turkish people enjoy helping others and love to show their generosity to guests.
Their timeless traditions and culture
Even though Turkey is quite the modern country, there are many traditions and cultural elements that have survived through the ages. From folk dance and music to literature and art, Turkey’s past is celebrated and preserved.
Their ability to relax and have a good time
Even though traditions are important in Turkey, Turkish people also know how to let loose and have a good time. Just go to any Turkish wedding to watch even the oldest grandma dance, or visit a tavern to see Turkish people singing their favourite songs alongside street musicians.
Their many talents
As well as their amazing cooking skills, Turkey’s people have many talents, whether they are traditional craftspeople, fashion designers, actors, singers, athletes, film directors, authors or intellectuals.
Their respect for family
Family is very important in Turkey, and Turkish people always put family first, making sure to respect and take care of them. Many Turkish people prefer to live with their parents until they marry and start their own families.
Their pride in their country
Turkish people are very proud to be Turkish, and they are enthusiastic when it comes to sharing their history and culture with visitors. No matter where you go, people will be more than willing to tell you stories about the history of their native cities or towns while showing you the sights.
Their belief in love and romance
Turkish people are very much in love with love. They believe in soulmates and true love, and savour all the emotions that come with falling for a special someone. Turkish songs, whether pop or thousand-year-old folk, are almost always about the joys and woes of love.
Their close friendships
As well as their family, Turkey’s people are very close to their friends, and have a deep respect for friendships. In Turkey, you can rely on your friends to be by your side during the best and worst of days.
Their open expression of emotion
Turkish people are honest about their emotions and won’t hold back from expressing them. When a Turkish person is happy, they will make sure everyone around them feels it too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.