There are plenty of places in Amsterdam to choose from when it comes to sports bars and most of these establishments screen Dutch, European and international league games throughout the week. Here are our top picks from their number, which range from classy, laid back bars to more boisterous watering holes.
Big Shots Bar
Big Shots Bar is located in the centre of the Red Light District and is only a few metres away from the oldest building in Amsterdam, the Oude Kerk. The bar allows clients to smoke inside and has its televisions connected to Sky Sports, meaning that a large number of sporting events are covered at Big Shots Bar. Hungry guests can also chow down on a variety of snacks whilst enjoying Big Shots Bar’s unique ambience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
📍 Big Shots Bar, Warmoesstraat 94, Amsterdam, +31 6 41582778
Plan B is an upscale pool hall on Overtoom that features eight, wide screen televisions that are hooked up to major sports channels. The bar regularly hosts tiered pool championships that pit beginners, experts and pros off against evenly skilled opponents. A weekly pub quiz takes place at Plan B during every Wednesday night and the bar is equipped with several dart boards.
📍 Plan B, Overtoom 209B, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, +31 20 845 6221
Britain’s Belushi’s bar chain has a large watering hole inside Amsterdam’s Red Light District that is attached to a famous party hostel called St. Christopher at Winston Hotel. The bar is open until late every night of the week and regularly reduces its drink’s prices during special events. Belushi’s has plenty of televisions, which screen major sporting events throughout the season.
📍 Belushi’s, Warmoesstraat 129, Amsterdam, +31 20 623 1380
Coco’s Outback is a popular pub on Rembrandtplein that has 28 televisions scattered around its bar and screens major sporting events everyday of the week, including American football, regular footie and rugby matches. Coco’s Outback has many strategically located leather couches that look directly onto their television sets as well as a large bar area that also has its own screens. Besides sports, beer and hot, hearty meals, Coco’s Outback also regularly hosts large parties and karaoke nights.
📍 Coco’s Outback, Thorbeckeplein 8, Amsterdam, +31 20 623 8088
Café de Zeemeeuw
Like other, traditional, Dutch brown bars, Café de Zeemeeuw keeps things simple and focuses on its main draws, namely beer, snacks and sports. Café de Zeemeeuw regularly screens Ajax matches, and during Dutch international games covers its wall in orange sporting paraphernalia. The bar is located on the northern side of the Red Light District, just beyond Amsterdam’s China Town.
📍 Café de Zeemeeuw, Zeedijk 102, Amsterdam, +31 20 620 1597
Satellite Sports Café
Apart from being well known for its excellent sports coverage, Satellite Sports Café is famous because of its fantastic grill menu that features all-you-can-eat ribs and delicious steaks served up with homemade sauces. The bar also has an extensive drinks menu and keeps a number of local and international beers on tap. Satellite Sports Café keeps its terrace open throughout the year, which is heated by several outdoor radiators.
📍 Satellite Sports Café, Leidseplein 11, Amsterdam, +31 20 427 2529
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.