Looking for something special to bring home from Utrecht? Then read on to discover seven spots around the city that stock awesome local products and other items that are almost impossible to find outside of Utrecht. These stores include one of the best places to find Miffy products in the entire world and FC Utrecht’s official fan shop.
Swordfish and Friend
Swordfish and Friend joins together two strains of culture that are commonly associated with Utrecht, namely sharp, contemporary design and vinyl records. Aside from art prints, design items, and records, Swordfish and Friends also stocks a wide array of audio equipment such as vinyl decks and mixers. The store regularly collaborates with other projects in Utrecht and always has an impressive number of items created by Dutch artists or designers.
📍Swordfish and Friend, Oudkerkhof 43, Utrecht, +31 6 12947796
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visitors to Utrecht may notice that there are many homages to popular children’s book character Miffy dotted around the city including statues, street art and even a working traffic light. These charming tributes are also dedicated to Miffy’s creator, Dick Bruna, who lived in the city for most of his life. Even though merchandise featuring the adorable rabbit is pretty easy to find in Utrecht, Miffy fans should definitely check out the gift shop inside the Miffy Museum on Agnietenstraat.
📍Nijntje Museum, Agnietenstraat 2, Utrecht, +31 30 236 2399
FC Utrecht Fanshop
FC Utrecht’s Fanshop lies just outside the entrance of the club’s home grounds, Stadion Galgenwaard on Herculesplein. The store stocks hundreds of official FC Utrecht items such as training kits, baby clothes and sports accessories that are ideal souvenirs for anyone that follows the Dutch league.
📍FC Utrecht Fanshop, Herculesplein 235, Utrecht
Centraal Museum’s gift shop is located inside an ancient chapel that still bears many of its historical design features. As Centraal Museum manages Rietveld Schröder House and the Miffy Museum, its gift shop stock a wide range of products related to these properties as well as exhibition catalogues and other items associated with Utrecht’ art history.
📍Centraal Museum, Agnietevstraat 1, Utrecht, +31 30 236 2362
Kapitaal is a crowd-funded cultural hotspot in central Utrecht that manages several projects including printing workshops that are geared towards local artists and designers. As many different people work inside Kapitaal, their studio produces a constant flow of new, interesting art prints and t-shirts which are available at their in-house store.
📍Kapitaal, Kroonstraat 9, Utrecht
Bierman & Bierman
Bierman & Bierman has one of the best selections of Dutch beer in the city and stocks brews from almost every craft brewery in the Netherlands. Looking for some tasty beers from Utrecht? Then, make sure to pick up something from Oproer brewery!
📍 Bierman & Bierman, Biltstraat 46, Utrecht, +31 30 662 4544
This aptly titled store on Lichte Gaard sells a wide array of souvenirs ranging from authentic Dutch tulip bulbs to coffee mugs emblazoned with windmills and milkmaids. It is worth stopping by Utrecht Souvenirs after arriving in the city, as the store is located right next to the Dom Tower and stocks travel guides in several languages.
📍 Utrecht Souvenirs, Lichte Gaard 1, Utrecht, +31 30 223 1831
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.