Besides being one of the most historically charming cities in Europe, Utrecht is also a major travel hub and has the largest train station in the entire country. This means that accessing other awesome Dutch destinations is a total breeze whilst staying in Utrecht.
Scheveningen is the most popular beach resort in the Netherlands and features many sights besides its sandy coastline. Its recently renovated pier, for example, has several awesome attractions including restaurants, stores, a bungee jump tower and gigantic ferris wheel. The area is actually part of the Hague and connects Utrecht via frequent train and bus services.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This rural Dutch village lies in the heart of the Hoge Veluwe National Park, where herds of wild deer, boar and horses have roamed undisturbed for centuries. Otterlo’s Kröller-Müller Museum owns the second-largest Van Gogh collection in the world alongside many other masterpieces from modern art history. While travelling to Otterlo takes slightly longer than other entries on this list, the journey is definitely worth it considering the variety of activities available inside or around the village.
De Haar Castle
Although de Haar Castle actually lies within Utrecht’s municipal borders, exploring its grounds often deserves an entire day. The castle was built in the late 19th century and was designed by the famous Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers, whose work also includes the Rijksmuseum and Centraal Station in Amsterdam. Much like Cuypers’s other creations, the Castle de Haar design is a homage to classical Dutch architecture while adding a measured dose of grandiosity. As the entire estate was built upon a much older fortification that dates back to the late Medieval period, its grounds are steeped in history.
Muiden predates a considerable number of settlements in the Netherlands, and historical records show that the city has existed at least since the 10th century. Due to its strategic location on the Vecht river, many fortifications have been built in Muiden over the years including its famous castle Muiderslot, which was completed in 1370. There’s also a former sea fort near to Muiden’s harbour called Pampus, which is accessible via a regular ferry service.
Utrechtse Heuvelrug National Park
Utrecht’s only national park centers around an ancient, glacial ridge that formed hundreds of thousands of years ago. Over the millennia, many diverse landscapes have developed around this incredible geographic wonder and Utrechtse Heuvelrug National Park covers several distinct terrains such as dune lands, forests and flood plains. There are hundreds of footpaths and bike tracks through the park and it is around an hour away from Utrecht by public transport.
Nijmegen is the oldest city in the Netherlands and was founded over 2,000 years ago during a Roman conquest. Although the Romans eventually abandoned their outpost in Nijmegen, other settlements soon began to develop around their fortifications and many buildings in the city are built upon ancient ruins, or actually feature elements from this period. Besides its incredible heritage, Nijmegen is also one of the greenest cities in the Netherlands. It features several parks and hundreds of scenic bike and footpaths that trail beyond its borders into rural Gelderland province.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.