Beside being the political capital of the Netherlands and the UN’s legal centre, The Hague is also a bustling city that is filled with dozens of exciting museums, restaurants and other cultural highlights, including several more unusual attractions. Read on to discover more.
This charming miniature theme park in Scheveningen features thousands of scale replicas of famous Dutch landmarks such as Dam Square and the Binnenhof. There are some real treasures inside the park and searching for iconic buildings with friends, family or partners is ridiculously fun.
📍 Madurodam, George Maduroplein 1, the Hague +31 70 416 2400
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Museum de Gevangenpoort
The Gevangenpoort (Prisoner’s Gate) in The Hague housed a notorious prison for over 400 years and incarcerated serious criminals whilst they awaited trial. The jail was converted into a historical museum around 100 years ago and now features several exhibition related to the history of crime and punishment in the Netherlands.
📍 Museum de Gevangenpoort, Buitenhof 33, The Hague +31 70 346 0861
In 1880 Dutch marine painter Henrik Willem Mesdag was commissioned by a Belgian company to create an enormous 360 degree panorama of The Hague’s coastline. Mesdag eventually purchased this gigantic painting from his former employers and then displayed inside a custom built museum, which has remained operational ever since.
📍 Panorama Mesdag, Zeestraat 65, The Hague +31 70 310 6665
By lying down on the stone table in the centre of this crater-shaped art installation visitors will perceive the sky as curved. This strange phenomenon occurs due to certain optical distortions created by the crater’s contours.
📍 Celestial Vault, Machiel Vrijenhoeklaan 175, The Hague
Over the past 80 years the Louwman family has amassed an enormous collection of historic and important automobiles. These cars, buses and motorcycles are housed within a specialised museum in The Hague’s north-eastern reaches.
📍 Louwman Museum, Leidsestraatweg 57, The Hague +31 70 304 7373
This family-orientated theme park in The Hague has plenty to offer kids, parents and thrill seekers. There are dozens of attractions inside including several white-knuckle rides such as the Formula X rollercoaster or Jungle River log flume.
📍 Familiepark Drievliet, Laan van ‘s-Gravenmade, The Hague +31 70 399 9305
The Hague’s most northernly borough Schevingen is renowned for its beautiful sandy beaches. In fact, it is among the most popular seaside resorts in the Netherlands and scores of locals head to its shores during sunny spells.
📍Schevingen Beach, Strandweg, The Hague
The towering ferris wheel spins atop Schevingen’s leisure pier is called SkyView and looks over The Hague’s glorious coastline. It is possible to ride the wheel everyday of the week between 11.00 to 20.00 and its management occasionally organises dinner parties within its spinning gondolas.
📍 SkyView Pier, Strandweg 156, The Hague +31 88 022 3333
Pickled herring is a Dutch delicacies that is commonly eaten during summertime. Although kiosks and food trucks selling this tiny fish are stationed around The Hague their largest concentration is located on the banks of Schevingen beach.
📍 Schevingen Beach, Strandweg, The Hague
The Japanese Garden in Clingendael Park
Due to its fragility and high-maintenance the Japanese Garden in Clingendael Park is only open eight weeks a year. The garden includes several items that were shipped from Japan in the early 20th century and hundreds of beautiful rare plants.
📍 Japanese Garden, Clingendael 6, The Hague +31 70 353 3000
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.