As well as being known for its canals and cycling culture, the capital city of the Netherlands is also a hub of impressive galleries and artists. It seems only fitting that your lodgings should have as much creative charm as Amsterdam does. Discover some of the best – from boutique hotels inspired by iconic creatives to hotel rooms that are works of art in their own right.
Hotel Roemer, an 18th-century townhouse-turned-boutique hotel, considers itself one of Amsterdam’s best kept secrets. It’s just a stone’s throw away from Vondelpark and Leidseplein on Roemer Visscherstraat – a street named after Dutch poet Mister Visscher. Rooms balance heritage and modern amenities. Jacuzzi baths, industrial decor and walk-in waterfall showers are offset with views of traditional Amsterdam architecture and canals, which are best admired from the rooms’ balconies.
The Nhow Amsterdam hotel, designed by leading architect Reinier de Graaf, has both an aesthetically pleasing exterior and interior. The building comprises three glass-fronted cubes, seemingly balanced on one other, ensuring 360-degree views of the city that are best enjoyed from the hotel’s three restaurant terraces. Bedrooms, inspired by the six directions the hotel faces, also offer floor-to-ceiling windows and are complete with Nespresso machines, animal print armchairs and minimalist desks. Travelling with a furry friend? Nhow accepts pets so you can book yourself and your animal companion into one of the six pet palaces.
Take your love for art one step further and spend your holiday residing in museum-like accommodation. Hotel Not Hotel, a short tram ride from the Rijksmuseum and the Stedelijk Museum, boasts rooms that have been cunningly designed with their own stories and identities. Think entering rooms through secret doors and a converted Dutch tram for a bed. Continuing the experience, head to onsite Thai restaurant and cocktail bar, Kevin Bacon, and start your night right with its Orange Is the New Black cocktail.
The Lloyd Hotel, with a storied history dating back to the 1920s, features 117 rooms that overlook the creative hub of the city – the Eastern Dockland. It is the first one-to-five star hotel in the world, offering high quality for every budget. The offerings span wooden-clad suites to eclectic twin rooms with flat-screen TVs. Unique extras including free parking in their garage, a grand piano, Marie Stella Maris hair products and even a swing.
Every room at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht has a view worth bragging about – whether that’s the city’s waterways or the hotel’s fantastical Secret Garden. The hotel looks out over the Prinsengracht (Prince’s canal) and is just a 10-minute walk from the Anne Frank House. Andaz nods to the building’s literary heritage as the city’s former public library, while art-adorned walls, futuristic standalone baths, Geneva Sound Systems and a morning paper are just a few of the luxuries you’ll encounter in your Marcel-Wanders-designed room.
Not many hotels would commission over 100 artists and offer them complete creative control – but Amsterdam Teleport Hotel did just that. The hotel organised their first Teleport Art Event with the Amsterdam Street Art platform in 2016, where eight graffiti artists decorated rooms to their individual styles. Today, more than 120 of the 148 rooms have been painted by graffiti and street artists from all over the world – with murals featuring everything from Nintendo’s Mario games to sunny beach getaways.
Culture is all around you at the aptly-named Art’otel. The 5&33 gallery resides within this 107-room hotel, showcasing contemporary art – from Pop to documentary-style formats – while rooms feature unique works from artist Joep van Lieshout, along with rain showers, Elemis Spa toiletries and Illy Espresso machines. Located opposite Amsterdam Central Station and in close proximity to the city’s juggernaut of galleries, art aficionados arriving by Eurostar will go from checking in to exploring Amsterdam’s cultural offerings in record time.
For more stylish hotels, discover our guide to the best boutique hotels to book in Amsterdam, or check out the best hotels with balconies in Amsterdam. For a more authentic hotel experience, read our rundown of where to stay in Amsterdam like a local, all bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.