Beds of tulips, rambling parks, picturesque canals – what’s not to love about the great outdoors in Amsterdam? And when you book a hotel with a balcony you can take it all in, from the sound of locals zipping by on bicycles to the buzz of boats puttering along waterways. Best of all, in this city of mild winters and warm summers, you can make the most of that balcony, no matter when you visit. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in Amsterdam with a balcony – bookable on Culture Trip.
An easy stroll from the epic Rijksmuseum and pond-dotted Vondelpark, this hotel in Amsterdam is all about crisp, clean white sheets, muted stucco walls, statement lamps – and fabulous artworks. Executive room balconies look out to handsome brick buildings and trees on a sleepy street that’s quiet despite being so well located. Dive into the honesty bar and sip a nightcap in the private courtyard garden after a day of exploring.
In the trendy Oost, or east, district of the city, a short walk from the Amstel canal, Hotel Casa channels the architecturally daring, 1950s nouveau side of the Dutch capital, with vaulting glass windows and beds with leather backboards. The on-site restaurant, East, draws locals in with the hefty burgers – and there’s even a rooftop beer garden, GAPP, where you can catch some rays on warm Amsterdam summer days.
The Indonesian theme may, at first, seem odd – until you learn this hotel stands in the spot from which ships once left Amsterdam for Jakarta. The centrepiece is an inner garden of subtropical foliage, with towering palms, banana trees and ginger plants; the long and glassy indoor pool and sublime views over the IJ river from Skybar Malabar are pretty impressive too. Book a junior suite and you’ll get a balcony overlooking the water, as well as gold-tinted accent pillows and floor-to-ceiling windows.
With just 17 rooms, Alp Hotel Amsterdam has an intimate, local feel that’s enhanced by its serene garden and balconied rooms. Over in a sleepy quarter in the west of the city, you’re just a short stroll from boutiquey Jordaan and within striking distance of sprawling Westerpark, dominated by waterways and sprawling lawns. Take advantage of the 24-hour free hot drinks and fruit bar, and upgrade to a room with a spa bath if you want to properly unwind.
If you like a stay with real character, this hotel in Amsterdam is hard to top – it’s in a former church. You wouldn’t guess it from the decor, with its button-backed armchairs, ethereal curtains, cushy padded headboards and, in some rooms, balconies with modern furniture. The clues are in the arched windows and the grand exterior, complete with clock and bell towers. An on-site restaurant and dance studio mean you don’t have to go far for entertainment.
Chic and sleek, this centrally located pad, just a short walk from the floating flower market, channels cool urban style. Mustard-coloured throws, dark-stained woods and pendant bedside lamps furnish the rooms; the airy restaurant is lined with tropical plants and sage-green chairs. Some of the balconied rooms can sleep up to three people, perfect for families who are craving a hip stay with an urban edge and easy access to De Wallen, the old city core.
Like modernism? You’ll love the Kimpton De Witt, with its eye-catching art, boxy colour-pop furniture and brassy details. This brilliantly located hotel in Amsterdam, a short walk from Centraal station, is cool for many reasons, but the crowning glory has to be the adjoining Super Lyan, the neon-bright cocktail bar by British drinks maestro Ryan Chetiyawardana. Splurge on a suite and you’ll get a balcony or, in the case of the Penthouse De Witt, a huge rooftop terrace.
Chandeliered dining areas festooned in gold leaf; sweeping views to central Dam square; bountiful breakfast buffets with displays of fruit and bread baskets galore – this is a truly opulent Amsterdam hotel. Smart modern rooms in grey, white and red will suit leisure and business travellers in equal measure, decked out as they are with rain-effect showers and, in some cases, views across Dam square itself. Spacious terraced rooms sleep up to three.
Still not found your perfect stay? Book into one of the best hotels in Amsterdam for every traveller now with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.