An iconic mountaintop music festival is set to return to Switzerland at the end of the summer for the 18th year in a row. Caprices will take place over two weekends in September 2021, and features an extended programme to incorporate other festivals that have been postponed due to the global pandemic. Here’s everything you need to know about the ultimate Swiss party and why it signals a return to a form of normality.
Set on a sunny plateau in the stunning Crans-Montana resort in Switzerland, and one of the top international music festivals in the world, Caprices is already a firm fixture on every music lover’s calendar. Against all odds the event went ahead last year, albeit in a reduced format, but the plan is to go full steam ahead in 2021.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Modernity Stage is a glass structure that makes for one of the most incredible music venues to visit in the world. The stand-alone, greenhouse-like stage sits 2,200m (7,218ft) above sea level, offering guests panoramic views of the skies and snow-capped mountain vista while partying in the crisp mountain air – which sounds to us like a great way to enjoy a post-lockdown escape. The first weekend is scheduled for 17-19 September; the second (24-26 September) will round off the event.
“The festival started off as a live-music festival inviting artists such as Iggy Pop, Erykah Badu, Cypress Hill and Björk,” says Aminata Kaba, head booker and coordinator of Caprices, who has been involved with the festival since its inception. “About 12 years ago, at 7am, we had a spontaneous idea, with DJs Sonja Moonear, Guillaume Coutu Dumont and Luciano, to carry the speakers on our shoulders up the mountain by gondola and organise an after-party on the slopes for about 30 people.”
“The following year we did the same,” she continues, “with Ricardo Villalobos playing back to back with Luciano for couple of hundred people. After that we decided to build a proper stage for a few thousand people 2,200m up the Swiss Alps. That was the beginning of the Modernity Stage. Now the festival has three stages that run across two weekends, attracting 25,000 people from all over the world.”
Aminata, one of the few Black women involved in any annual music event at such a high level, is a fascinating personality on the festival circuit.
“At the beginning of my career I had to face additional challenges, because there weren’t many women working in music, but over the years, and especially with electronic music, there are [now] more and more women involved. We are still a minority, and it is still a male-dominated world, but it is getting better.”
The two-weekend structure of Caprices is also something of a rarity, but it’s been set up this way for a good reason. This is an international festival, so the spacing of events allows visitors the chance to explore the country during the week in between. Aminata, a big fan of her home country, moved to Thailand during the pandemic, which proved to be something of a healing escape, and is now based between the two countries.
“I always liked Thailand for its landscapes, beaches and food, and the fact that everything is so easygoing. When Switzerland announced the lockdown, the next day I was on a plane to Thailand. I hadn’t expected to stay there for so long, but it allowed me to realise that it was the kind of environment where I wanted to live permanently. I was lucky to be in Koh Phangan where actually there was no Covid, as they closed the islands for several months. Nevertheless, we had some restrictions – such as curfew for two months from 10am to 4pm – and parties were not allowed, but this only lasted for a short period.”
As unlikely as it seemed only a few weeks ago, the festival season seems to be gathering pace. This summer will see events taking place across Europe and beyond, but few will be able to match the sheer spectacle of this party high in the Swiss Alps.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.