Traveling to Lapland in the far north of Sweden is a journey even for those living in the middle of the country. Sweden is long (really long) and the journey from the south of Sweden to Lapland is at least a few hours by plane or a very, very long car ride. Or, you could take the Inlandsbanan, which takes you more than 1000 kilometres (620 miles) from Kristinehamn in the south to Gällivare above the Arctic Circle. Here are a whole bunch of reasons why the 100-year-old Inlandsbanan is the best way to travel to Lapland.
When you travel 1300 kilometres (807 miles), you’re going to see a lot of scenery. You’ll begin in Kristinehamn, in Värmland, which is a beautiful area filled with lakes, forests, and charming towns and villages. A good tip is to get here a day or two early and explore the area, before getting on the train, which will reveal just how diverse the topography of Sweden really is. Given that Sweden is more than 1500 kilometres (932 miles) long and this journey is 1300 kilometres long you’ll be seeing everything from lush greenery in the south to snow-capped mountains in the north – even in summer.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sweden is a lot bigger than most people realise and of the nearly 300 municipalities you will travel through 19, including some of the most beautiful in Dalarna and Värmland. Every municipality offers something different and each one is keen to show off for visitors, so expect lots of local colour and heritage, whether that’s through activities, food, or culture.
The train stops pretty regularly along the way, giving you ample opportunity to get out and explore the surrounding countryside. In Sweden, what better than making like a local and foraging for berries and mushrooms? Swedish forests are filled with free produce, basically, although be sure you know what you’re picking, as some berries and mushrooms are poisonous.
While there are certain dishes that are cooked and eaten in every corner of Sweden, there are also regional specialties – and this is your chance to try them all. Up north in particular you can try things like reindeer, which is lean, tasty, and delicious, no matter how it’s prepared – and it’s prepared a lot of different ways! With the rise of New Nordic cuisine, local ingredients are increasingly used in restaurants, giving you the opportunity to truly eat locally and sustainably.
Sweden is filled with vast, wide open spaces that are heavily populated by local wildlife, such as moose, badgers, endless varieties of birds, and so much more – including wolves and bears. Yes, you need to be aware of your surroundings and take care, but the guides on the Inlandsbanan will not put you in danger or allow you to get into any dodgy situations. And to see one of Sweden’s majestic moose is a singularly awe-inspiring experience.
The Inlandsbanan guides, called train hosts, are full of knowledge and are keen to help you find out more about the places and countryside the train travels through. They remain on the train when you go off on an excursion or to your hotel, and they are full of advice and will help you find the best places to eat, drink, or play. Take advantage of this wonderful resource.
Every trip is unique
Inlandsbanan likes to say that every trip is unique and can be tailored to every passenger’s needs. Organised tours with a variety of packed programmes will suit everyone, from families with kids to young travellers looking for adventure. In fact, if you want over-the-top adventure, they’ll make sure you get it, but if you want something more laid-back and chill then that’s also available. Whatever kind of trip you wan, just ask – you will have your needs fulfilled. And remember that as you travel from south to north, what you experience outside the train will change pretty dramatically, so make sure you take advantage of local activities and events.
Sweden’s history is long and varied, with plenty of skirmishes, acts of bravery and horrible acts of war. But history of course isn’t limited to battles – it’s also about culture, food, and, in Sweden’s case, royalty. Take this chance to discover how Sweden has evolved over the centuries in many areas, and how the past impacts the present.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.