Like every other city and town in Sweden, Gothenburg is loaded with fantastic museums. There are the expected great art museums, but also museums that focus on the region’s industrial past, its proximity to the sea, and one of its favourite storybook characters. Let’s get started.
Gothenburg Museum of Art
With six floors of art ranging from the 15th century to the present, Gothenburg’s Museum of Art has a Nordic profile and is caretaker of the world’s foremost collection of Nordic painting from the early 1900s through to today. World-renowned artists such as Picasso, Rembrandt, and Louise Nevelson are also represented, and there are often temporary exhibitions and seminars as well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gothenburg Museum of Art. Götaplatsen Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 368 35 00
Natural History Museum
No matter what you’re interested in you’ll probably find it here. From diving to becoming a crime investigator to having an adult sleepover with the dinosaurs, Gothenburg’s Natural History Museum is an absolute delight for all ages.
Natural History Museum. Museivägen 10, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)10 441 44 00
Museum of World Culture
This is a museum that goes well beyond your bog-standard exhibitions. Films, seminars, festivals, after work drinks, workshops, live performance – the list of activities is seemingly endless and they range from ‘perfect for the kids’ to ‘this is grown up time’. Entry to the museum is free but most events will cost a small amount.
Museum of World Culture. Södra Vägen 54, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)10 456 12 00
This floating museum opens the door onto Gothenburg‘s maritime history. With an armada of 15 museum vessels waiting to be explored, you could probably spend the day here discovering new things and never, ever get bored.
Maritiman. Packhusplatsen 12, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 10 59 50
For contemporary art lovers, Göteborgs Konsthall is the place to see thoughtful – and sometimes challenging – exhibitions by new and upcoming artists from both Sweden and around the world. There are also lectures, talks, and education, all with a focus on creating dialogue.
Göteborgs Konsthall. Götaplatsen, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 368 3450
Located in a 1950s subterranean hanger about 30 meters below the surface that was one of Sweden’s most top-secret defence facilities during the Cold War, Aeroseum is now a hands-on museum housing civil aircraft, fighter planes, helicopters, and much, much more. Clamber into the cockpit and play with the controls as you relive those dreams of being a pilot.
Aeroseum. Holmvägen 100, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 55 83 00
Dedicated to preserving the history of one of Sweden’s two well-known car makers (although neither are really Swedish anymore), the museum not only houses a growing collection of Volvos from throughout its history, it also has an archive of historical documents and images about the company. Car buffs, take note!
Volvo Museum. Arendal Skans, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 66 48 14
The Nordic region’s largest science museum brings the universe to you, though animals, nature, technology, and loads of experiments. Go on a safari, soar into space, dive to the bottom of the sea – or take a soothing walk through Swedish nature. It’s all there, ready to be experienced.
Universeum. Södra Vägen 50, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 335 64 50
Alfons Åberg Kulturhus
Small and very cosy, this is the ‘home’ of beloved children’s book character Alfons Åberg. Two floors of fun await the under-five set, including shows, a play area, slides, a maze, and a climbing area. Be sure to check out the coffee shop with its outdoor eating area.
Alfons Åberg Kulturhus. Slussgatan 1, Gothenburg, Sweden. +46 (0)31 15 42 80
One of Gothenburg’s most fascinating museums, Kortedala is a reconstructed two-room flat, furnished from top to bottom with original furniture and personal belongings, that illustrates how a young family would have lived between 1955 and 1966. Museum members conduct tours and will tell you of their own memories from that time.
Use this handy map to find the best museums in Gothenburg, Sweden:
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.