If you’re searching for delicious vegan food or just fancy a tasty meat-free meal, Stockholm offers everything from plant-based fine dining to tasty vegan desserts.
Though it used to be difficult to even order vegetarian dishes in Stockholm – with most found in the more bohemian neighbourhood of Södermalm – the city now offers a range of vegan cafés and restaurants to suit every taste. Its thriving food scene has introduced a new focus on local ingredients and innovative cuisine, which is reflected in the excellent range of vegan dining options. Here are Culture Trip’s top picks to find the best plant-based dishes in the Swedish capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Previously known as Sthlm Raw and located in Långholmsgatan, Fern and Fika is a plant-based café reinventing the Swedish tradition of fika – that is coffee with a sweet treat. “Our food is always 100 percent vegan, gluten-free and free of refined sugar and, therefore, kind to the body, animals and the planet,” says the café’s CEO and co-owner Monika Majnik. Cosy and filled with greenery, it’s a great place for a delicious afternoon treat, without feeling stuffed with unhealthy additives. “We are well known for our wide offering of delicious raw desserts – favourites would be a ‘Snickers’ slice or a seasonal, raw version of a traditional Swedish semla (sweet roll) – as well as our brunch and breakfast,” she says.
A major hotel chain may not be the first place you’d expect to visit for good vegan food, but the Radisson Blu Royal Park is changing that. Situated next to the beautiful Hagaparken nature area and Brunnsviken lake, the hotel is only 5km (3mi) from the city centre and close to Bergius Botanic Garden, the Swedish Museum of Natural History and Haga Castle, the official residence of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden. “The hotel does fully vegan brunches every Sunday and also has an amazing food lab producing raw ice creams and cultured vegan cheese,” says Monika. For a sophisticated weekend treat, tuck into all-vegan dishes, including American pancakes, croissants, home-made kimchi and Chinese dumplings, to the sounds of a live jazz band.
Worth splashing out on, Växthuset is a vegan fine-dining restaurant determined to elevate plant-based food to gourmet levels. Next to popular nightclub Under Bron, it serves only seasonal and local ingredients, many of which are foraged from the area around Stockholm. These are combined with traditional Nordic preserving techniques, such as pickling and fermenting, best showcased on the ever-changing tasting menu. Pair the dishes with natural and biodynamic wines from boutique producers or local non-alcoholic drinks. Make a booking, and you’ll receive a number to call on arrival to avoid having to queue. As a bonus, you get free entrance to Under Bron after dinner if you want to dance the night away.
Previously known as Halsocafet, this colourful café opened in 2015 and now has two branches: the original in Södermalm and a new one in Vasastan. Using mainly organic and all-vegan ingredients from small, local companies, the menu focuses on nourishing smoothie bowls, delicious salads and juices, with hearty breakfasts served until 11am each day. Don’t miss the scrambled tofu, mashed avocado and vegan bacon on toasted sourdough for a heavenly start to the day.
MyVegina was created on three fundamental pillars of veganism, feminism and symbiosis. “Science tells us that just looking at a picture of greenery makes you calmer and lifts your spirits,” founder Irma Arlert wrote on the café’s website. “We need to nourish ourselves with recharging green rooms, and why not do it while we are eating?” Decorated in shades of green throughout, MyVegina now has two outposts: one in Odenplan in the city centre and the other in Medborgarplatsen. These convenient spots make it easy to call in for smoothies, sandwiches, pastries and hot and cold bowls. If the weather’s chilly, try its warming gingerbread golden milk with coconut-oil-braised turmeric, black pepper, gingerbread spices and steamed oat milk.
Don’t feel you have to miss out on Stockholm’s moreish cinnamon buns because you’re vegan. Instead, head straight to this laid-back neighbourhood spot known for its sandwiches, salads and tasty baked goods, as well as live music and art events. “This is a super homey café with vegan comfort food,” says Monika. The food is all vegan, though some beer is not. Expect big portions, friendly staff and a pile of board games in the corner if you want a challenge over the home-made pastries.
Need somewhere to lie down after all that delicious vegan food? Book one of the best cabins in Sweden now through Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.