Set on an archipelago of 14 islands, the “Venice of the North” effortlessly blends centuries of history with contemporary urban appeal. Stockholm isn’t known for its affordable cost of living, but it’s home to some budget-friendly hostels. One important thing to remember when looking at hostels in the city is that linens and towels come at an extra cost. Whether you prefer über-cool Södermalm, historic Gamla Stan or the glitz and glamour of Östermalm, here’s our pick of Stockholm’s best hostels so that you can keep your krona for exploring everything Sweden’s capital has to offer and outdoor adventures beyond.
Sleek, clean and minimal are words often associated with Scandinavian design, and they’re all on display at the Birka Hostel in Stockholm. Inside a former brewery, private rooms and dorms are simple but comfortable, and the communal lounge and kitchen are great places to mingle with fellow guests. Within proximity to the National Library of Sweden, this hostel has a plethora of shops on its doorstep, as well as being a short walk from Östermalm Market Hall, where you can indulge in Scandi delights such as elk stew. When the night falls, hit the public square of Stureplan for buzzy, upscale bars and nightclubs.
Über-cool Generator brings its design-led hostels to the home of hipster chic. The apartment-style studios and private guest rooms wouldn’t look out of place in a hip hotel, with warm wooden accents and shiny red pods containing the bathrooms, making this one of the best hostels in Stockholm. Stop for a fika (a tradition of afternoon coffee and cake) in its well-stocked cafe. Finish your day at Bar Hilma, where you can kick back with a cocktail and live DJ set as night draws in.
On the up-and-coming island of Kungsholmen, City Hostel is a short walk from the impressive and slightly imposing Stadshuset – Stockholm’s town hall and setting for the Nobel Prize Ceremony. Clean and contemporary design alongside a wide range of rooms and dorms make this hostel an ideal base to explore one of Stockholm’s quieter islands. Boats moored in the marina turn into bustling summer bars, and nearby Rålambshov Park combines wooded trails, outdoor theatre performances and even a small beach to make the most of those never-ending Scandi summer days.
Island hopping and Stockholm go hand in hand – each of the archipelago’s 14 islands has a unique character. Sitting within the winding streets of Gamla Stan, the aptly named Archipelago Hostel lies just 320m (350yd) from ferry connections to Skeppsholmen, home to the Moderna Museet (Museum of Modern Art), and Djurgården with its many attractions, including ABBA the Museum. You’re also within walking distance of the Royal Palace. The building’s original large sash windows let you plan your route from the comfort of your room or dorm so that you can immerse yourself in the story of Stockholm from the moment you step out the door.
Leave sleek Scandinavian minimalism at the door when entering Skanstulls Hostel in Stockholm. Here it’s all about maximalism. The eclectic, mismatched decor creates a cosy atmosphere, perfect for channelling mys – the Swedish answer to hygge – on cold Stockholm nights. The hostel lies south of achingly cool SoFo, replete with buzzy bars and restaurants, vintage treasure troves and cutting-edge Swedish fashion boutiques.
It’s all about location at the Castanea Hostel; it lies in the heart of Gamla Stan – Stockholm’s Old Town. One for history buffs, this hostel sits inside buildings dating from the 17th and 18th centuries; one was the former home of the royal castle’s carpenter. Spend the day among the area’s cafes, quirky shops and maze of cobbled streets before hitting the hay in the comfortable private rooms or dorms.
Långholmen Hotel and Hostel in Stockholm is on the site of a former high-security prison, restored and converted into a hotel with dormitories and private rooms. The island of Långholmen is beautiful year-round and makes for a wonderful stroll, even if you skip the guided tour of the prison grounds. Buses and the metro are available just across the bridge in Hornstull, southwest of the main city centre.
Stockholm’s collection of islands are connected by many bridges – choosing to stay on the water is only natural, with converted ships and boats offering a fun accommodation alternative with incomparable views. The Red Boat, or Den Röda Båten as it’s called in Swedish, is a little more rustic-looking than a modern hostel, adding to the authenticity of the boat-stay experience. It comprises two houseboats, and although the rooms are compact, the views of central Stockholm’s waterfront are great. It’s reasonably priced with a great central location.
Looking for more Stockholm stays? From the city’s best boutique accommodation and its top hotels to the most budget-friendly lodgings across the Swedish capital, our guides have you covered, and they’re all bookable on Culture Trip. For more options, discover our guide on the best hotels in Umeå, Northern Sweden, and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Issy Häggström.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.