Swedish artists have long held strong reputations both domestically and abroad, with their powerful voices earning them well-deserved places in history. Sweden’s art contains everything from beautiful landscapes to stark modernism and its influence on the international art world has been felt throughout the ages. Here’s an introduction to Swedish artists and their works.
One of the most important practitioners of the Arts and Crafts Movement, Carl Larsson painted in both oil and watercolours. However, it’s his watercolours, which depict idyllic family life in the Swedish countryside, that he’s most remembered for. Perhaps his passion for his family came through so strongly due to what can only be described as a miserable childhood marked by abuse, poverty and illness.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Often called the painter’s painter, Anders Zorn was a master in a variety of mediums and materials, including oil, watercolour, sculptures and etchings. He’s known for the everyday sensuality of his portraits, as well as his ability to make water nearly flow in paintings.
A member of the Düsseldorf school, Nordenberg is mainly known for his genre paintings as well as street-life images with motifs from the provinces of Dalarna, Blekinge, and Skåne. The work is highly detailed and sometimes romanticised, with skilfully composed figures.
Carl Milles towers over the first half of 20th-century Swedish art. Milles was primarily a sculptor and his work can be found in public spaces all over Sweden, as well as at his former home, which he deeded as a museum to Lidingö, just outside Stockholm. His work is both traditional and innovative, with mythology and history big influences.
She was a small town girl who went to Paris and ended up creating one of the most iconic characters in Swedish illustration. Jenny Nyström was one of Sweden’s most prolific artists but it was her illustrations of jultomte (Santa Claus) and his elves that she based on the gnomes of Scandinavian folklore, that made her reputation and secured her place in history.
Johan Axel Gustaf Törneman
The father of Swedish modernism, Johan Axel Gustaf Törneman worked in several modernist styles, and was one of Sweden’s first expressionist artists. His most famous works, Night Café I and II, along with Trait, are not only considered two of the most important works in Swedish modernism but also breakthrough works.
Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd
He’s most known for his Non-Violence sculpture, which he created in response to the murder of his friend John Lennon. Copies of the work are present at 30 locations around the world, including 10 places in Sweden. Despite the strong statement made by the knotted gun, Reuterswärd’s works were actually quite abstract and playful. He introduced laser and holograms as an art form and he also published several books of poetry and nonsense verse, in keeping with his unique artistic view.
Witty, smart, playful, and insightful, Oldenburg’s work has always stayed true to his vision: representing everyday items on a magnified scale that make us consider our place in the world. Hailed as the reigning king of pop sculpture, he is also known for the ‘happenings’ of his early career in New York City. His collaborations with his wife Coosje van Bruggen were first met with ridicule before earning their rightful place in history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.