Swedes love their pets – cats, dogs, furry rodents, you name it. And, while dogs are often seen on public transport and increasingly welcome in offices, it’s a rare day indeed when you’ll see someone bring their cat to work – and even rarer to see an animal in a restaurant or café. The Cat Corner is about to change all that.
A German schooled in the UK and now married to a Swede, Dirk Lüders is a self-described pet person and is set to open Sweden’s very first cat café. Yet is there really a need for a cat café? Apparently yes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
According the The Cat Corner’s Facebook page, the idea is to create a space for catless humans and humanless cats to meet, hangout, and enjoy each other’s company, while also raising awareness around the estimated 150,000 homeless cats in Sweden. Lüders says he hopes to encourage the adoption of cats from no-kill shelters in both Sweden and across the globe.
Lüders got the idea from a friend who had set up a cat café in Oldham, northern England, and realised the concept would work in Sweden as well. In Stockholm the acceptance of the presence of pets in restaurants is slow-going, and there are no cafés or restaurants where pets are an integral part of the concept.
‘It caught my attention’, Lüders told The Local. ‘And the more I looked into it, the more I realised that there are cat cafés all over the world, but none in Sweden’.
Seeing a gap in the market is the bread and butter of every entrepreneur and now Lüders has started crowdfunding to bring his dream to fruition, and he thinks the expat community is key. ‘You’ve got a lot of expats in Stockholm because of work, and a lot of students from other countries and other parts of Sweden, who might be cat lovers but don’t have their favourite pet here with them’.
Lüders thinks the café will offer people – especially those on the move or with heavy work schedules – the chance to connect with animals despite not being able to commit to owning a pet. He also sees it as an opportunity to raise awareness around homeless animals in Sweden, a problem that is growing but that doesn’t get much press. The café will give Stockholm’s estimated 30,000 homeless cats a chance at a new life; although the nine cats that will live at the café won’t be up for adoption.
For the bargain price of 115 Swedish kronor per hour, visitors are welcome to spend as much time as they want with the cats, while helping themselves to unlimited coffee and tea. There will also be a selection of vegan and gluten-free cakes, as well as salads for sale, and partnerships with various like-minded enterprises are planned.
Lüders told The Local that the aim is to build a community that gives something back to society. Crowdfunding is ongoing and so far the response has been terrific, from both the media and the public. It looks like Stockholm may soon have its very own cat café.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.