As one of the youngest events on the fashion week calendar, Stockholm’s brand line-up mostly features emerging designers. These are the seven cutting-edge brands to look out for during the event.
Recent seasons have seen the fashion week focus expand to smaller, less established style hubs such as Copenhagen, Oslo and Berlin. Between 28-30 August, Stockholm will showcase its most worthy talent to the industry. Consider this your definitive list to the best in class for spring/summer 2019.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Filippa K was founded in 1993 and has a reputation for creating sustainable, capsule wardrobe heroes. Naturally, the runway collections are more elevated than ready-to-wear but there’s nothing too obvious or show-stopping about the designs, so everything feels wearable. Each season, quality is apparent and timelessness is key. Expect silk slip skirts, voluminous shirting and accessories that will lend understated looks a fashion-focused edge – an aesthetic that defines what we know to be signature Scandinavian style today.
House of Dagmar
Knitwear is at the heart of each House of Dagmar collection, and every new season sees the founders – three sisters who named their label after their grandmother – experiment with design and technique in a way that makes the ultimate wardrobe staple feel progressive. Sustainable production is a priority, with the main aim being to create pieces that last a lifetime. As a result, items are statement-making as opposed to being trend-focused, and runway presentations add colour and excitement into an otherwise muted series of shows.
Clean-cut silhouettes, quiet branding and minimal detailing define Little Liffner’s accessory designs, which have been gracing the wardrobes of Stockholm’s most fashion-forward since the label launched in 2012. Its bags are contemporary in style, yet there’s a sense of tradition about them too – they’re all crafted in Italy and their versatile colour palette will appeal regardless of the season. For Fashion Week Stockholm, the brand presentation will be in installation form, displaying a design collaboration with artist Evelina Kroon – expect colour, playfulness and creativity.
Naim Josefi draws from his experience working at bespoke tailoring studios in Sweden, as well as a personal interest in art and technology, to inspire his own collections. There’s nothing corporate about his suiting designs – think slouchy, oversized silhouettes teamed with sneakers, explosive striped designs and conceptual cut-outs positioned in unexpected places.
NAND is a new addition to the FWS schedule. Despite launching in 2014, it’s still run solely by its founder, Nette Sandström, and has maintained its unique edge. Inspired by Sandström’s belief that what we wear sends a message, NAND’s collections address political issues and are charged with an emotive energy. Spring/summer 2019’s collection is typical of NAND’s established aesthetic: bold, modern and artfully draped.
Amaze takes a contemporary approach to its FWS presentations, spotlighting a different young label each season. This year it’s set to collaborate with NH(O)RM, the cutting-edge label founded by two designers with complementary visions: Mathilda Nilsson, who specialises in print design, and Hanna Rudebeck, an expert in drapery. The result is a series of diverse pieces designed for the fashion-confident.
ATP Atelier was initially launched as a footwear label that championed a sleek and understated sensibility teamed with expert Italian craftsmanship. Sandals, boots and now bags and small accessories are made using the finest leather and suede, epitomising the brand’s “style over fashion” philosophy. The SS19 collection will be presented during FWS.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.