It may have a reputation for being gritty and industrial but don’t let that fool you – Malmö is home to a robust and flourishing art scene, its industrial past being part of what gives it such an edge. If you’re an art lover visiting Malmö for a day, here are the absolute must-see museums and galleries – and a few great places to relax and grab a bite to eat.
Just like the original in Stockholm, Moderna Museet in Malmö is one of Europe’s leading museums of contemporary art, with a collection highlighting the best modern art from 1900 through to today. The space itself is a converted industrial building and the exhibitions within change regularly, as does the permanent collection.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Located in the Malmöhus Castle complex of museums, Malmö’s Art Museum is one of Scandinavia’s top attractions for art lovers. The museum’s collection contains around 40 thousand works, covering Nordic art from the 16th century to the present. It is also home to a fabulous collection of furniture and crafts from the region.
Malmö Konstmuseum. Malmöhusvägen 6, Malmö, Sweden. +46 (0)40 34 44 37
Since 1975, Malmö Konsthall has been hosting exhibitions that have a decidedly international focus and a very experimental bent. The space is one of the largest exhibition halls for contemporary art in Europe, which gives room for staging some fantastic larger than life shows.
Siesta, located in the Gamla Staden, is very much a local hangout. More than just a café – it’s an experience. Great food, a well-stocked bar and of course great coffee (this is Malmö, after all). The outdoor seating area allows you to drink in the atmosphere with the scent of blooms wafting over you.
Part of Konsthall, Smak is a great place to kick back, grab a fika and catch your breath before heading out to your destination. Warm meals are also served here, leaning mostly towards Swedish fare, which is exactly what you’ll need as you whoosh through Malmö’s art scene in 24 hours.
Signal – Center for Contemporary Art
This artist and curator collective produces and presents exhibitions, lectures and various other events that shine a bright light on the best in contemporary art, as well as exploring current affairs and cultural production. The centre also houses an archive for artists in southern Sweden.
Another of Malmö’s artist collectives, Galleri 21 is also one of its oldest. Founded in 1985, the gallery has staked claim to exhibiting some of the most interesting Nordic art in the world. The gallery also hosts lectures, theatre and music recitals.
This gallery’s main activities are art exhibitions and mediation of art, but it also serves as a forum for creative meetings and other events. Gallerie Lohme believes in sharing and collaboration, as well as ‘planned spontaneity,’ and the unique concept stimulates both innovative ideas and experiences. Both Swedish and international artists are represented here.
The More Bistro
Innovative and quirky, More Bistro found inspiration for their new project, Cirkus, in the shape of the dining room. The food is Swedish with a hint of Asia, with vegan options also being available. In a city dedicated to food, this is one brand that takes it one step further.
The More Bistro. Norra Skolgatan 24, Malmö, Sweden. +46 (0)40 23 62 50
Brothers Mats and Ebbe are artists in residence at their namesake restaurant, using locally sourced produce to serve up some very modern takes on traditional Swedish dishes. The restaurant itself is an ode to refined elegance.
Kitchen & Table
Award winning Swedish chef Marcus Samuelsson moved to New York early in his career and has brought a taste of Manhattan back home to Scandinavia. Kitchen & Table really does feel like a slice of New York – without the New York prices. The food represents everything Marcus values in his work: healthy, diverse and marrying influences from cuisines around the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.