Stockholm is known for its sleek yet sometimes whimsical style and this impacts everything from furniture to wallpaper to coffee pots. The city is bursting with great design shops, particularly in the centre of town, and there is something to suit every budget.
With 11 stores around Sweden all stocking unique products, Design Torget is the place to discover up-and-coming Swedish designers who are working with everything from furniture to serving trays to jewellery. Designers submit their creations to a monthly jury, who then choose the best of the best. The stock is continually changing, so you never know what you’ll find here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
They might be from Denmark but Illums Bolighus is one of the best examples of that clean modern Scandi style so beloved up in the north of Europe. The central Stockholm shops stocks everything needed for the well-designed home, from tea cups to sofas – and everything is from one of the three Scandinavian countries.
Illums Bolighus. Hamngatan 27, Stockholm, Sweden. +46 8 718 55 00
Nordiska Galleriet is the ultimate in Stockholm design shops, with an extensive range of high-end interior design from both Sweden and around the globe. You don’t just buy a sofa here – you make a design investment, one that you will treasure and pass on to the next generation. Design classics such as the Barcelona Chair and the PH Lamp are found here.
Nordiska Galleriet. Nybrogatan 11, Stockholm, Sweden. +46 8 442 83 60
Inspiration is the name of the game at Oscar & Clothilde. The inventory reflects cultures from around the world, in keeping with the whimsical back story that is based on the imaginary Oscar & Clothilde travelling the world to collect beautiful items to offer their Stockholm clientele. No two items are the same, so if you’re looking for that personal touch to add to your home, this is the place for you.
Spread over three floors just a stone’s throw from Stockholm’s Stureplan, Plan Ett has an inventory that is both classic and modern, with a delightful mix of furniture, lighting, carpets, and other interior design items that are sourced from both Sweden and internationally. A favourite among the interior design crowd, Plan Ett is known for its unique approach to design, with an eye for the unusual, as well as the sophisticated.
If you make Svenskt Tenn your final stop on your Stockholm design shopping trip, you can slip upstairs and enjoy a bite to eat in the beautifully appointed Tea Salon. With eye-watering views over the waters of Nybroviken this place makes you almost forget the food, which is notoriously sublime. Have a snack, lunch, or afternoon tea here, and enjoy the menu, which reflects the seasons, while sinking back into overstuffed sofa and chairs.
Take a look at the map below to plan your route for visiting these fantastic design shops:
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.