Stockholm is the unofficial capital of Scandinavia and as such it’s not the cheapest city around. That doesn’t mean, though, that you can’t thoroughly enjoy much of the what the city has to offer when on a budget. We’ve got you covered when it comes to where to stay, eat, drink and what to visit when you’re on a shoestring.
What to do and see
Visit a museum
Quite a few of Stockholm’s more than 70 museums are either free all the time or offer free entry on particular days or particular times. The Architecture and Design Centre (ArkDes) is free to everyone and absolutely worth a visit. ArkDes is housed right next to the Modern Museum, which offers free entry to much of its permanent collection as well as select exhibitions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ride a bus
Stockholm’s number 4 bus is perfect for seeing a wide swath of the city for a very low price. Public transport in the city is 40 kronor one way and the number 4 makes a journey that will take you from the edge of Södermalm, through Vasastan and Östermalm, ending at Sweden’s National Radio and TV Broadcasting Houses. It’s more than an hour long and will give you a good idea of different neighbourhoods. You can catch the number 4 at Skanstull at one end or Radiohuset at the other.
Theatre in the park
Since 1942, Stockholm has been holding a series of free performances in parks around the city. From June to August, Parkteatern arranges theatre and dance performances, as well as live music events that range opera to jazz to rock and pop. There are more than 180 performances in over 50 locations and no reservation is needed. Just show up with a blanket and perhaps some food and drink and enjoy the evening.
What to eat and drink
Hötorgshallen is one of Stockholm’s legendary food halls and while the restaurants here are somewhat pricey, the food stalls offer fantastic value. You can find anything from Greek food to traditional Swedish and it’s all available for takeaway. The best way to enjoy your takeaway is to head over to the steps of Kulturhuset, which overlooks Hötorget.
An Italian restaurant owned by Germans in Stockholm: what could possibly go wrong? Absolutely nothing, it seems, because while Vapiano won’t make you forget memories of Italy you’ll be pretty pleased with the price, the freshness of the ingredients, and the actual food on your plate. From pizza to pasta to salads, the food is tasty and perfect for those on a budget.
If dumplings are your jam then there’s no better place in Stockholm than Beijing8. There are a number of outlets around the city but it’s universally accepted that the one at Hornstull somehow does it best. And when we say cheap we mean cheap: the most expensive dish on the menu is approximately 100 kronor and prices start at a mere 20 kronor. This is the perfect place to enjoy Stockholm’s blooming Asian food scene.
Hornsbruksgatan 26, Stockholm, Sweden. +46 8 668 33 66
Where to stay
The Red Boat Mälaren
This hostel is actually two boats, side by side, docked where Lake Mälaren and the Baltic Sea meet. Just five minutes from Gamla Stan (Old Town), this place has prices that begin at approximately 500 kronor per night, with free linen, free Wifi, and free breakfast. Staffed around the clock, The Red Boat Mälaren lock the main doors at 1am but you’ll be given an entry code so no curfew. And did we mention the view?
Vanadis Hotell & Bad
Offering four different types of rooms, Vanadis is perfect for everyone from the backpacker to families on a budget. Some rooms share a bathroom, while others have private facilities. The best part of Vanadis is the pool at the centre, as well as the fantastic location, which is up on a hill with great views and an excellent park. And it’s just a short walk to Stockholm’s bustling Vasastan neighbourhood.
Vanadis Hotell & Bad. Sveavägen 142, Stockholm, Sweden. +46 8 30 12 11
Charm is the operative word here, as well as cutting-edge design, and it is the perfect place to begin your discovery of Stockholm’s trendiest neighbourhood, Södermalm. Sofo Hotel might be über cool, but prices start at just over 600 kronor per night. The rooms are compact but also stylishly appointed and very well-maintained. There’s also a very good restaurant, flat-screen TVs in every room, and Wifi is free.
Sofo Hotel. Östgötagatan 64, Stockholm, Sweden. +46 8 640 63 33
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.