Fall in the city can be a wonderful thing, but sometimes you just need to get out of town for a little bit of rest and recuperation. Relaxation, beautiful sites, and good food are all things that one typically searches for when taking a weekend trip to Sweden.
Borgholm may be small, but it might just be exactly what you need when wanting to take a break from your city. Located on the island of Öland, Borgholm offers the opportunity to relax and enjoy the fresh Öland air. Borgholms Slott is one of the most popular destinations to visit while you’re there. Check out an exhibition, explore the castle or possibly take in a concert if you happen to be there on the right day. Ekerum Resort Öland is the place to stay if you are wanting a much-needed break. Take in a round of golf, visit the spa or spend the day exploring the town of Borgholm.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Head slightly south of Stockholm and you will come across the adorable town of Trosa. This village is part of the Sörmanlands archipelago, which is over 10,000 years old. Take a stroll around the city, see the canals and boats, and make a pit stop at some of the local shops. Needing a place to stay? Consider Sund Nergården, which prides itself on being the ‘hideaway for adults’, and is located next to Lake Sillen. Although you may be a mere 65 kilometers from the city, you will feel as though you are in a completely different world.
Hop on a ferry and take a trip to Visby, which is the largest city in Gotland. The city of Visby regularly has events going on, making it the perfect place to visit when you are in need of a change. Check out the art exhibit at Galleri Gotland or maybe make a stop at a local pub like Munkkällern to listen to live music. If you want additional relaxation, stay at NOVI Resort, which has its own spa and beach club if you are in need of a bit more excitement.
One may not typically think of Västerås as the place to visit, but with much of the city being located near Lake Mälaren and with new developments occurring, you should add Västerås to your list. If you are wanting to just relax without leaving your lodging, consider staying at the Steam Hotel, which is located right on Lake Mälaren. The Steam Hotel features two restaurants, a spa, and a rooftop/outdoor pool that has a perfect view of the lake. Near the hotel is a walking path that goes along the shore of the lake, a place to buy ice cream, and a beautiful harbor.
Take a trip down the very south of Sweden to the town of Ystad. There are tons of activities for visitors to take up when visiting, like hiking on one of the many trails around, taking a guided fishing trip if you want the chance to get out on the sea, or visiting the old Ystad Monastery from the 13th century. Additionally, Ystad boasts what is considered the best resort in all of Sweden, Ystad Saltsjöbad. You can be in total relaxation while there, with the opportunity to go golfing, see some of the entertainment available, and so much more.
Although technically located in Finland, Åland is a place that many native Swedes live in, as well as visit. Just a few hours away from Stockholm, Åland is full of beautiful islands and beaches to relax at and explore. Known for having a wide range of outdoor activities, Åland is perfect if you enjoy being active and wanting a break from the hustle and bustle of city life. If you are wanting to focus more on rejuvenating, HavsVidden is a phenomenal resort located on the coast offering some well-deserved relaxation. Found 40 minutes north of Mariehamn, HavsVidden is situated next to the water and allows you to have your own little cabin.
If total seclusion is what you are looking for, look no further than Åre. Hidden away in the far northwest area of Sweden, Åre is a small municipality which has very little going on. However, if you want to be wowed, visit Fäviken Magasinet. This small restaurant and inn is a destination in itself, for it is owned and operated by the famed chef Magnus Nilsson. Reservations for both the accommodation and restaurant are hard to come by and there is typically a wait list for available spots. Åre also happens to be a popular skiing destination worth visiting during the winter months.
After seeing all these cities, why not stay somewhere a bit more rural? Book one of the best cabins in Sweden now via Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.