The Sierra de Hornachuelos Natural Park, among Andalusia’s wildest and most beautiful natural parks, is less than an hour’s drive from the city of Córdoba, making it an ideal day trip. Below, Culture Trip looks at the features that make it a must-visit, including its soaring birds of prey, scenic hiking trails and dense Mediterranean forests.
To admire the landscapes
The Sierra de Hornachuelos Natural Park makes up one-third of the UNESCO-designated Dehesas de la Sierra Morena Biosphere Reserve, along with the Sierra Norte in Seville and Huelva’s Aracena y Picos de Aroche. Most of the park comprises valley forests surrounding its three rivers: the Guadiato, Bembézar and Retortillo. Holm and cork oaks are the most abundant species found in these verdant oases, but you’ll also come across wild olive trees, poplars, alders, willows and chamaerops, the only palm tree native to Europe. The rivers have also created some impressive gorges and ravines.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To spot the wildlife
Be sure to pack your binoculars before setting out for Hornachuelos because the park’s lush forests and valleys are home to one of southern Spain’s largest populations of black vultures, as well as griffon vultures, golden, imperial and Bonelli’s eagles, black storks and red kites. The birds of prey can often be seen gliding above the park’s forests and shrubbery, tracking prey hidden in the undergrowth far below. Hornachuelos’s non-winged population comprises otters, bats, wildcats, Egyptian mongoose, deer and boars.
To go hiking
Hiking is the best way to soak up the park’s natural beauty. Short rails include the Sendero del Arroyo de la Rabilarga, a 700m (2,297ft) circular stroll that follows a shaded stream, and the 7km (4mi) Sendero del Guadalora. Both start from the Huerta del Rey Visitors’ Centre outside the village of Hornachuelos (look out for La Paloma, a 14th-century watermill, on the Guadalora walk). For a longer outing, try the 12km (7mi) Sendero del Cordel del Águila, which features some demanding ascents and descents, or the 13km (8mi) Sendero del Bembézar, on which you’ll pass the 15th-century Los Ángeles convent and enter prime black vulture territory.
To visit the whitewashed villages
Hornachuelos is dotted with several of the gorgeous pueblos blancos (white villages) that are so typical of Andalusia – the perfect settings for a long lunch or a few tapas. The largest and best for accommodation options is Hornachuelos itself, which sits on the southeastern corner of the park, 62km (39mi) west of Córdoba. Other recommended pueblos include the tiny San Calixto, where you can buy beautiful artefacts made by nuns from the Carmelitas Descalzas convent; Las Navas de la Concepción, situated right in the middle of the park and surrounded by forests and mountains; and San Nicolás del Puerto, a charming riverside pueblo on Hornachuelos’s border with the Sierra Norte. All have tapas bars specialising in the cured meats and game stews native to this area and artisanal shops selling locally produced goods such as honey and olive oil.
Easy to access from the city
The best way to access the park is by car; it’s a spectacular 50-minute drive west from Córdoba to the village of Hornachuelos, where some of the hiking trails start. The road that leads into the village, the A-3151, continues north for the length of the park, with several smaller carreteras (highways) leading off it in the centre. If you don’t have access to a car, San Sebastián buses run a service between Córdoba and Hornachuelos four times a day, and a taxi will cost about €50-60 (£45-54).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.