The north of Aragon is dominated by the rolling foothills and jaw-dropping peaks of the Pyrenees mountains. Home to some of the highest summits of the Pyrenees, Aragon’s mountainous north harbours some outstanding panoramic viewpoints from where you can enjoy epic vistas of chiselled gorges, jagged peaks and verdant valleys. Here’s where to head for some of Aragon’s most unforgettable scenery.
The Heart of the Spanish Pyrenees
Located in the centre of the Pyrenean range, the Aragonese Pyrenees are often considered the most dramatic of the Spanish Pyrenees. Rugged limestone peaks, often capped with snow, stand out against picturesque valley bottoms carved out by streams and rivers which gush with white waters in the spring.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Aragonese Pyrenees are also where the flora and fauna are seemingly at their wildest, with numerous animal and plant species found exclusively in the Pyrenees mountains adding to the sense of natural splendour.
During the winter, the Aragonese Pyrenees are a veritable winter wonderland – complete with some of the country’s best ski resorts. While during the warmer months they become every outdoor sports fan’s dream: hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, abseiling, canyoneering – these mountains have much to offer.
Unsurprisingly, there are some rather incredible viewpoints just waiting to be discovered, offering breathtaking vistas of this natural masterpiece and its many extreme landscapes.
For the best views around: Aragon’s Ordesa Valley
Located in the very north of the Aragonese Pyrenees, on the border with France, the Ordesa y Monte Perdido National Park is a World Heritage Site home to some of the most stunning views in the region. This is where one of the highest concentrations of peaks over 3,000 metres (9,800 feet) of altitude in the Pyrenees can be found. Together they form a dramatic background which frames the four blissful alpine valleys which are found in the park.
Perhaps the most impressive of these is the Valle de Ordesa, an 11 kilometre (6.8 mile) long valley which is bordered by the third highest summit in the Pyrenees, the Monte Perdido. This peak got its name – which means ‘lost mountain’ – because it couldn’t be seen from the French side of the Pyrenees and as such appeared to have been ‘lost’.
Here you’ll be able to get a real sense of the dramatic nature of the mountains, the abrupt relief and natural diversity becoming all the more obvious. The bottom of the valley offers a number of walks which will enable you to admire the sheer magnitude of the mountains as you stare up at the gigantic peaks. While those who can take the hike will be able to enjoy undisturbed vistas of the valley opening up in front of them.
Where to stop
The Circo de Soaso: this is perhaps one of the most accessible viewpoints in the Ordesa Valley as it’s located in the valley bottom. The Circo de Soaso offers a rather spectacular view of the park’s highest peak, the Monte Perdido, with waterfalls gushing down from its foothills.
The Mirador de Cacilarruego: after climbing around 600 metres (2,000 feet) along the route known as the Senda de los Cazadores (or ‘Hunter’s Route’), you’ll arrive at the Mirador de Cacilarruego. From here, you can enjoy one of the best views of the Ordesa Valley from above, including the waterfalls of the Circo de Cotatuero.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.