After 10 years working in the London fashion industry, Kimberley Tecles-Byrom moved to Spain to launch her footwear label GOYA. Culture Trip visits her apartment in Madrid to talk to her about her designs and what makes her new location such an inspiring place to be in.
It was on a trip to Formentera – an island just off the coast of Ibiza – that Kimberley Tecles-Byrom first found the inspiration for her footwear brand GOYA. Spending her days wearing traditional Menorquina shoes and loving the versatility, comfort and heritage associated with them, she wanted to design a version that suited her former life in London where she worked for both Net-A-Porter and Alexander McQueen.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The shoes themselves are simple, crafted with a slightly open toe, a chunky rubber sole and a slingback heel that can be repositioned at the front of the foot depending on the wearer’s preference. Menorquinas are steeped in history, with Spanish farmers favouring them for their ability to take on rural terrain. However, Tecles-Byrom’s interpretations take the style in a more modern, fashion-focussed direction. The silhouette remains constant season after season, but the upper – crafted from premium materials, such as patent leather, mock-croc, shearling and fur – is what adds character. “Fashion is a crowded market,” the designer says, “and I wanted to avoid seasonality, to create something timeless that referenced tradition but that worked in the city.”
You may also like: Kimberley Tecles-Byrom’s guide to Madrid
Local production is key and with Alicante (an area famous for its leather) on the doorstep, it seems fitting that Tecles-Byrom should choose to work with factories in two of its small towns, Elda and Elche. “I think it’s important to use places in Spain that are dedicated to manufacturing shoes,” she says. “They’re absorbed by the industry and the people who live there are highly likely to work in manufacturing. Many factories are family-run, so there’s a real sense of community about them.”
For Tecles-Byrom, factory quality levels were of the highest importance and she personally visited each one, working with artisans and meeting the owners to choose those best suited to her vision. As a result, every part of a GOYA shoe is made within a 10-mile radius of the next. “Production and operations take up a lot of my time,” she says, “but when it comes to design, I take inspiration from so many things that it’s probably more consuming without me even realising it.”
“For the upcoming autumn/winter collection I’ve given the collection a more luxurious, evening-ready aesthetic and I’ve added pearl detailing and oversized bows in soft velvet to the signature GOYA silhouette. It’s all about the 1980s and it features oversize gold and pearl buttons that we’ve never used before.” In contrast, Selfridges will be stocking an exclusive (and somewhat more minimalist) beach line. In a nod to traditional unisex styles, shoes will have thinner soles and little detailing. Tecles-Byrom states: “The style has always been unisex and in history it’s probably been worn more by men than women, so it feels natural to design for both genders.”
GOYA sandals can be bought in the UK at Matchesfashion.com.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.