With Alhambra authorities considering turning the rugged hillside beneath the fortress into a tourist promenade, the subject of this building’s mysterious underground tunnels is once again causing intrigue. Could it really be that, underneath Granada‘s Moorish fort-complex, there once bustled a mini-city of subterranean caverns and passageways? Find out more here.
Standing on the beautiful square of Paseo de Los Tristes in Granada with your back to the old Arabic neighbourhood of Albaicin, you look up to the forbidding walls of the Alhambra, Spain’s most iconic Moorish monument. Beneath you and separating you from this great 10th century fortress is the Darro river, which gurgles through central Granada amidst lush banks and under centuries-old bridges; and if you look closer, set into the steep hillside opposite, beneath a gracefully crumbling old townhouse, are little iron gates almost entirely obscured with grass and ivy. These are the entrances to just a few of what is believed to be an extensive network of underground tunnels linking the Alhambra to Albaicin and the rest of the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This secret world beneath one of Spain’s most famous attractions has been in the Spanish news recently, as the Alhambra authorities are planning to construct a promenade on the dilapidated bank of the Darro that faces Paseo de los Tristes. Yet even if this project goes ahead, experts say that the underground caverns and tunnels are unlikely to be opened to the public, partly because of security risks and partly because of the damage mass tourism would cause them. They seem set to remain shrouded in mystery and legend and to keep their dark secrets forever, then.
Historians have theorised that the subterranean networks of the Alhambra served several purposes. Recent research has uncovered no fewer than 21 underground dungeons, linked to the outside world only by small openings in their ceilings. These were accessed, say experts, by a labyrinthine web of narrow little tunnels, which also allowed the Alhambra’s residents to come and go unseen – especially important during sieges. Some were used to store foods such as wheat and grain whilst according to a rather more colourful theory, other underground paths were used to transport exotic wild animals to their holding pens, where they would entertain Granada’s Moorish royalty.
Many of Granada’s local tour guides and Alhambra experts say it is fairly common knowledge amongst locals that some tunnels even extend up to the other side of the hill, connecting the fortress with the most grand houses in Albaicin. A thousand years ago, it seems, the earth underneath the Alhambra was teeming with life as the complex itself. Nowadays the vast majority of this underground network is, unfortunately, closed to the public, but you can get a taste of its spookiness and mystery with the excellent tours at Granada Secreta (Secret Granada). Otherwise, just let your imagination run wild as you visit the Alhambra itself, wander around Albaicin, or gaze into those little grass-covered grilles opposite the Paseo de los Tristes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.