While many tourists come to Spain for its sun, sea and incredible cuisine, there are many more unusual experiences you can have in the country. We take a look at some of the best.
Walk the world’s scariest footpath
The Caminito del Rey is a walkway hugging the walls of a steep gorge in El Chorro in the province of Malaga, southern Spain. It was christened ‘the world’s most dangerous footpath’ after five people died along the route in 1999 and 2000. Following the deaths, the path was closed for repairs for over a decade, reopening to the public in 2015. It might have new safety measures, but the 3km pathway is still not for the faint-hearted.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Brave an international zip line
Thrill seekers look no further: Spain is home to the world’s fist cross-border zip line, Límite Zero, which crosses the River Guadiana from Spain into neighbouring Portugal. Users fly down the 720-metre wire at speeds between 70-80km/hour and arrive in Portugal an hour behind, because of the time difference. Prepare for spectacular views across the river and its surrounding olive groves.
Visit an underwater museum
In 2016, Lanzarote pioneered Europe’s first underwater museum when it submerged a series of sculptures off its southern coastline. The Museo Atlántico (The Atlantic Museum) is the brainchild of British artist Jason deCaires Taylor, who has also created underground sculptures in Mexico and the West Indies. Lanzarote’s museum, submerged 12 metres below the surface, is accessible by scuba divers and visible from glass bottom boats.
Giro humano sculpture by @jason_decaires_taylor is one of the most Photographed. #museoatlantico #lanzarote #underwaterphotography #underwatersculpture #travelblogger #instagramers #instatravel #canaryislands @petebura @smeshlivaya
A post shared by CACT Lanzarote (@cact_lanzarote) on Jul 5, 2017 at 11:39am PDT
Visit the melon museum
Spain is renowned for its world-class museums like Madrid’s Prado and the Guggenheim in Bilbao, but slightly more under-the-radar is its melon museum – the only museum in the world dedicated to the refreshing fruit. The town of Villaconejos has a long history of melon farming and is home to the museum dedicated to the fruit and the people who grow it. Discover the history of melon growing and harvesting and, if you happen to visit in the autumn, enjoy the town’s annual melon festival.
Have dinner in the world’s oldest restaurant
Madrid is home to the world’s oldest restaurant, Sobrino de Botín, which was founded in 1725 (it has the Guinness World Records certificate proudly displayed in the window to prove it). Follow in the footsteps of Ernest Hemingway and take a seat in the wood-panelled dining room to enjoy the house speciality: roast suckling pig.
#españa #spain #madrid #restorantebotin #sobrinodebotin #restoránmasantiguodelmundo
A post shared by Pau (@72pau) on Jul 20, 2017 at 3:30pm PDT
Visit Europe’s most southerly ski resort
You might have been sunbathing on Spain’s balmy southern coast by morning, but come afternoon, you can hit the pistes of the Sierra Nevada Ski Station, Europe’s most southerly ski resort, located just 27km from the city of Granada. The highest ski resort in Spain has 105km of ski runs and the ski season can last from November until early May. The resort often holds winter sports competitions, and played host to the FIS Ski and Snowboard World Championships in 2017.
Dance in the world’s biggest nightclub
Ibiza, Spain’s hedonistic party island is, perhaps unsurprisingly, home to the world’s biggest nightclub. Privilege, a super club with a capacity for 10,000 people, is officially recognised by the Guinness World Records as the biggest club in the world. The legendary club, one of the first big clubs to open in Ibiza in the 1980s, is on many revellers’ must-visit lists when they holiday on the island.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.