Quieter than its party-central Balearic neighbours Mallorca and Ibiza, Menorca has all you need for a blissfully romantic getaway. The laid-back Mediterranean island is a dream for exploring together, full of deserted bays, untouched hillsides, candlelit seafood restaurants and traditional villages often overlooked by package holiday tourists. Make the most of your quality time as a couple by staying at one of these hotels, bookable on Culture Trip, to make your stay even more memorable.
Steer clear of faceless resorts and choose this more intimate boutique hotel for a truly special stay. The property, in a delightful 18th-century house in the east of the island, has already thought of everything you’ll need to relax, including picnic service, massages, forest trails for walking and even a living room filled with books and a fireplace for chilly evenings. The 15 to-die-for rooms have bare beams, polished wooden floors and peaceful countryside views.
Get away from it all together at this remodelled Menorcan country house with gardens inspired by the Italian Riviera, brimming with roses and fruit trees. Spend lazy days by one of the pools, relax with a massage or stroll to the archaeological site of Trepucó, just 10 minutes’ walk away. Just be sure to drop by the hotel bar every afternoon where homemade cakes are served with the hotel’s signature gin and tonics.
You’ve never far from the calming sound of crashing waves at this adults-only property a moment away from Menorca’s perfectly white Cala Galdana beach. Many rooms and the pretty curved pool overlook the sea on this horseshoe-shaped cove, but anyone out to impress should book the premium double jacuzzi seaview to watch the tide from your very own bubbling hot tub. Don’t miss a romantic meal at Oliva restaurant either, where traditional Menorcan specialities are served each evening.
This super-chic hotel offers the perfect grown-up escape. A traditional Menorcan country house decked out in billowing white muslin, limestone and natural wood, the property is less than 3km (2mi) from the sea and surrounded by wild olive forests and flourishing bougainvillea. Every room has its own balcony, terrace or private garden where you can toast your time away with a glass of wine produced in Torralbenc’s very own vineyards.
Every luxury has been considered at this opulent boutique hotel right next to the town hall in the island’s pretty capital Mahón. All 16 rooms have complimentary minibars, wood-burning fireplaces, organic bath products and Netflix, while guests can also drop by the spa for treatments, sign up for private yoga classes, order a picnic to bring to the beach or dine by candlelight under orange trees in the courtyard. There’s even a lookout tower for panoramic views of Monte Toro, La Mola fortress and the city’s harbour.
Feel like royalty on your well-deserved break by booking this 16th-century palace in Ciutadella with 21 guest rooms, three suites and a grand villa with a private pool. The hotel has its very own boat when you fancy a private trip out on the water, plus a spa in an ancient cave and a nearby country club, where you can walk to the deserted cove of Ses Fontanelles with a vegetarian picnic hamper straight from the hotel’s garden.
If you’d rather have a little more space on your romantic retreat, this aparthotel with direct access to the Cala en Bosc beach will give you plenty of room to spread out. The studios have a living room and an amply stocked kitchen, so you can rustle up dinner à deux and dine on your own private balcony under the stars. Elsewhere, there’s a buffet restaurant and seafront pool or stroll straight to the sand to lounge with a fruity cocktail from the beach bar.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Leon Beckenham.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.