The Canary Islands might not be the obvious place for a romantic getaway but Gran Canaria has scenic landscapes, picturesque beaches and some fabulous hotels for you to hole up in for some alone-time à deux. Temperatures average 24C (75F) throughout the year, making it the ideal place to enjoy a sunny break. Here’s our pick of the island’s couples-friendly places to stay.
A warm welcome awaits at the Aminta Home B&B in the heart of Las Palmas. Originally a family home, this hotel has kept its intimate style and offers a home away from home-style stay. All of the individually styled guest rooms are dressed in soothing pastel colours, restored antique Canarian furniture and original floor tiles. Step outside and soak in centuries of history in the oldest part of Las Palmas; the Santa Ana cathedral is just a stone’s throw away or if you fancy some retail therapy, the shopping area of Triana is a 15-minute walk.
This charming boutique hotel is housed within a grand 18th-century house that was lovingly transformed by local couple Alexandra and Paco. It oozes old-world charm but lots of modern features cater to the 21st-century traveller. After settling into your chic and intimate guest room, pop up to the rooftop pool to soak up some rays and stunning views over Las Palmas. This hotel is perfectly located for exploring the city’s winding streets and discovering the rich history of one of the oldest western settlements in the Canary Islands. For sunset, skip back to the hotel’s cute rooftop bar, open until 11 pm.
In the south of the island, the H10 Playa Meloneras Palace invites you to sit back and relax. For amenities, this five-star resort scores top marks offering everything from golf lessons to a state-of-the-art spa to indulge in. A 24 hour, all-inclusive policy means you’re spoiled for choice when it comes to gourmet options while night owls can opt for live music in the lobby of the disco bar which stays open past midnight. Whatever a romantic holiday means to you, there’s sure to be something at the H10 Playa Meloneras Palace that hits the spot.
This modern adults-only luxury hotel is located in the popular Playa del Ingles resort on the south end of the island and is a short stroll from its sandy beach. Its 67 high-tech guest rooms are finished in colourful and funky styling, with a contemporary opulence that really sets the mood – with the help of some tweakable atmospheric lighting. The hotel’s secluded gardens are filled with exotic flora, there’s a spa for couples’ pampering and a rooftop restaurant provides the perfect spot for a candlelit dinner for two.
In the heart of Playa del Inglés, this adults-only hotel is a playful retreat full of retro charm. With a large outdoor pool, sun-trap terrace complete with Jacuzzi, poolside snack bar and late breakfasts until 12 pm, the Hotel Gold is all about making a couple’s holiday fun and relaxing. Go for a room with a terrace to enjoy Gran Canarian living and when the sun goes down, head to the hotel restaurant, La Palmera Sur, for a South Beach meets Canary Islands vibe.
Hotel Santa Catalina occupies one of Las Palmas’s most distinctive buildings, overlooking a stately-looking garden and marina beyond. The vibe at this late 19th-century property is old-school romantic, with plenty of crimson carpets, polished marble, and crystal chandeliers. The 202 rooms are traditionally elegant, with some opening on to spacious balconies with glimpses of the ocean. There’s room service around the clock for couples who’d rather not venture outside, plus a swimming pool surrounded by tropical gardens, a fine-dining restaurant, and a vintage piano bar for cosy nightcaps.
When it comes to design, this adults-only boutique hotel is certainly one of the more funky and contemporary options. Located a couple of minutes walk from pretty Las Canteras beach on the island’s north coast, the couples-friendly vibe is conducive to romance with some of the 10 guest rooms opening on to decked terraces with lovely sea views. For indoor snuggling, the suite has a super-comfy sofa, massive flat-screen TV and lights that can be switched to set the mood. Bathrobes come as standard and breakfast can be served in-room for couples who’d rather stay in bed.
With more than 500 rooms, this high-end resort complex is far from intimate but a combination of swish Art Deco and luxury detailing provides a fine setting for romance. It is nestled in 10 acres of pretty gardens overlooking the dramatic and iconic dunes of Maspalomas and offers submerged loungers in an infinity-edge pool so couples can gaze out to sea while relaxing in the sun. For more seclusion, book a Junior Suite with a jacuzzi terrace just off the bedroom.
Hotel Cordial Mogán Playa is set in a picturesque valley just minutes from the beach in Puerto de Mogán, a charming resort on the sunny south side of Gran Canaria dubbed Little Venice. The hotel is like a small village. Canarian in style, it offers four restaurants, two pools, and a partly-outdoor spa set amid tropical gardens with over 450 different plant species. There’s also an archaeological park onsite, part of an ancient necropolis that the property is built on.
Lorna Turnbull contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.