The dramatic coastline of Mallorca has many vantage points from which people used to look out for pirates. These lookout spots are now the perfect places to admire the sun setting over the Mediterranean. That, combined with the spectacular Tramuntana mountain range and countless picturesque bays, means that there are many jaw-dropping places to watch the sun go down. We’ve selected a few of the best.
Mirador Ses Barques
A bit of a mission to get to, Mirador Ses Barques is a hilltop lookout point with stunning views down to the Port of Soller, and there’s also a Mallorquin restaurant there. The restaurant is large with seating on different levels; try to get a table on the edge of the deck that so that you have front row seats as the sun sets over the port. The food is decent, but really it’s all about the incredible setting; well worth the drive.
Mirador de ses Barques, Carretera de Lluc, Km 45, 07109 Soller +34 971 63 07 92
Sant Elm and Sa Dragonera
Sa Dragonera is a tiny uninhabited island and nature reserve just off Mallorca’s southwest coast, directly opposite the resort of Sant Elm. Named due to its dragon-like shape (and the lizards that inhabit it) the sight of the sun disappearing behind this jagged islet is quite something, making Sant Elm one of the best places in Mallorca to enjoy the sunset.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gin & Tonic Corner, Puerto Pollensa
This bar is a great place to be, sitting under the pine trees on the waterfront, as the sun goes down. You can’t see the sun from here, but you can enjoy watching the sky turn from orange to pink, watch the boats bobbing in a sea shimmering with colourful reflections, and enjoy an expertly mixed gin and tonic. This tranquil bar looks out over the Bay of Pollensa and is part of the Illa D’Or Hotel, but is separate from the hotel’s other restaurants and is open to non-guests.
Calle Colón, 265, 07470 Pollensa +34 971 86 51 00
Cap de Formentor Lighthouse
The views from the lighthouse at Cap de Formentor are incredible at any time of day, but watching the sunset from here will take your breath away. It feels as if you’re standing on the edge of the world, with the huge glowing sun dropping into the sea in front of you and the jagged cliffs of the coastline silhouetted against the sky. You need a car to get there; it’s around a half-hour drive from Puerto Pollensa, but you will probably want to stop at some other viewpoints along the way.
Nestled in the Tramuntana mountains, the pretty village of Galilea has stunning views over hills and forests all the way down to the sea in the far distance. The drive up to this village can be quite dicey, with hairpin bends galore, but if you get there just as the sun drops behind the horizon, the views are magical.
Mirador de na Foradada
There are many incredible places to watch the sunset on Mallorca’s northwest coast, but the restaurant and bar at Mirador de na Foradada is one of the best. A popular spot for marriage proposals and weddings, the restaurant is in a prime sunset location on a small peninsula jutting out from the dramatic rocky coastline. The outdoor deck bar area is large, with chill-out music and comfortable seating: a fantastic place to enjoy a sundowner.
Diseminado Sa Foradada, 2, 07179 Deià +34 971 63 60 84
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.