Although flamenco hails from the southern Andalusia region of Spain, many say the best performers are actually be found in Madrid. This is because some of the most talented singers, dancers and musicians leave the south for the capital. But appreciating it isn’t just about seeing a show—there’s so much that goes into the history and culture, so read on for your very own flamenco tour of Madrid. Or if you would like a guided tour we recommend the Flamenco Route Madrid, featured in the video above.
Check out a dinner show
Corral de la Morería
If you’d like to see a dinner show, you should head to Corral de la Morería, one of the oldest flamenco taverns in Madrid. The space actually hosted their very first show in 1956, and has been one of Madrid’s most beloved flamenco spots ever since. The restaurant is top notch and you can watch the dancers stomp and spin, while enjoying gourmet delights at the same time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Corral de la Morería, Calle de la Morería 17, Madrid, Spain, +34 913 65 11 37
If you want to support the arts, Casa Patas not only has some fabulous flamenco dinner shows, but also has an attached dance school and foundation dedicated to the art form. If you check out the show and fall in love with the music and movements, you can then sign up for a class!
Casa Patas, Calle de los Cañizares 10, Madrid, Spain, +34 913 69 04 96
Or maybe just have a drink or two
If you want to see flamenco in a more intimate environment, Las Tablas is a more underground spot to see the art form, though it still has an organized show. The prices are about half or even less of the more touristy dinner shows, but only include a drink. The small stage, with clusters of tiny tables and chairs gathered round, gives you a real up close and personal experience.
Las Tablas, Plaza España 9, Madrid, Spain, +34 91 54 20 520
Just hit up a local bar
Many bars in the La Latina neighborhood have spontaneous flamenco, meaning there’s no organized show, but there’ll be a live guitarist. Many of the patrons are long-time flamenco fans and when they feel the music, they’ll sing and dance along. It’s really a sight to see bar patrons (both tourists and locals alike) singing, dancing and enjoying this aspect of Andalusian culture together.
Check out the guitars
Flamenco wouldn’t be flamenco without that soulful guitar strumming. So stop in the famous guitar shop Pedro de Miguel, which specializes in making flamenco guitars. Here you can learn all about the process that goes into making these tailored instruments, as well as the differences between a classical guitar and one for flamenco. Of course, if you want to buy your own, you can do that too.
Pedro de Miguel, Calle Amor de Dios, 13, 28014 Madrid, +34 914 29 47 93
Learn all about the costumes
You may have noticed that flamenco dancers wear very elaborate, ruffled costumes. There’s an art to the fringes, ruffles, sticthing, frills and shawls, not to mention the special shoes and castanets the dancers use. So pop into the shop Keflamenka, where you can not only learn about it all, but shop too.
Keflamenka, C/ Tres Peces, 34, 28012 Madrid, +34 915 06 06 06
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.