Situated on the east of Spain‘s Mediterranean coastline, Valencia is a great destination for stress-zapping minibreaks, possessing an array of hotels with luxury wellness facilities. Offerings range from subterranean Roman baths to ancient holistic therapies – so here’s our choice of the best spa hotels in the Iberian hotspot, bookable on Culture Trip.
The spa at this businessy four-star has everything required for a reset – including an eighty-minute hydro circuit, Finnish sauna, Turkish bath, aromatic showers and a massage and treatment centre. For in-room pampering, book the Junior Suite, which features a panel of hydromassage jets built into a rainfall shower. On-site amenities include an outdoor pool surrounded by gardens, a gym, a cafe serving pasta, burgers and salads, and a Mediterranean restaurant. A buffet breakfast is available for an extra fee.
At SH’s city-centre five-star, conventional massages are offered alongside more unusual rejuvenation techniques such as pressotherapy, passive gymnastics and radiofrequency skin treatment. You’ll also find a gym, an indoor infinity pool and a sauna – all of which overlook the Turia Gardens and the Palau de la Musica concert hall. The culinary offering comprises a high-end Japanese restaurant with an open kitchen, an outdoor bar and dining room, a gastrobar with a three-course set menu and a smart cocktail bar.
Combining Scandinavian and tropical styles, this five-star boutique occupies a 19th-century mansion, in which the Bodyna Spa is split over two levels. The first floor has treatment rooms overlooking the foliage-filled courtyard and the ground floor has jacuzzis, a sauna, pool and a huge wall painting depicting blissful scenery. Rooms and suites feature a grown-up black-and-white theme, dark hardwood floors and white marble bathrooms – some also have private terraces or freestanding bathtubs.
Occupying a cave-like space beneath vaulted brick ceilings, Plaza Mercado’s spa has massage rooms, a pool, a Roman thermal bath and jacuzzis. Suites upstairs are characterised by pristine Nordic minimalism and have kitchenettes with microwaves, mini-fridges and ceramic hobs – book the Deluxe Penthouse and you’ll also have a terrace with views of Santa Catalina church and the cathedral’s bell tower. At the ground-floor restaurant, typically Valencian dishes showcase produce bought across the road every morning at the city’s Central Market.
This five-star Marriott’s Wellness Centre offers Ayurvedic treatments, taking an ancient, holistic approach to wellbeing. Also on offer in the nonetheless modern spa are separate men’s and women’s relaxation spaces, therapy and foot baths, and fizzing plunge pools – not forgetting the manicure and pedicure service. Larger doubles and the Presidential Suite also have jacuzzis on their own private terraces, while Rosmarino, El Jardi and Komori restaurants serve a buffet breakfast, Mediterranean and Japanese cuisine, respectively.
Relaxation therapies available at Neptuno’s spa include Hawaiian and Balinese massages, a skin-toning massage performed with bamboo reeds, an exfoliating mud wrap, and Japanese and Hindu cleansing rituals. You can also disconnect on a rooftop terrace with a pool – or in one of the suites with a terrace and open-air jacuzzi. The Trident Restaurant serves several paellas, ranging from the traditional Valencian variety made with chicken and rabbit, to an all-vegetable version.
Discover more spas in this guide, or check out the country’s best spa and wellness holidays. Relaxed enough already? Why not try a homely stay at one of the city’s best holiday apartments, or a sandy one at one of its beach hotels, bookable with Culture Trip. All sorted? You deserve a drink, at one of Valencia’s best rooftop bars.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Esme Fox.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.