Oviedo, the capital of the Asturias region in northern Spain, is a richly historic, yet rather compact, city. Among narrow lanes, the must-see sights include several remarkable churches, the Museum of Fine Arts and a Medieval cathedral. But Oviedo also offers some lovely green spaces, plus great dining and nightlife that’s livelier than most. If you’re planning a visit and feeling flush, here are the best luxury hotels in Oviedo – bookable on Culture Trip.
With spa facilities built around hot mineral springs, water-based wellness is naturally at the heart of Las Caldas Villa Termal. Part of the huge spa is also inspired by the domed Pantheon of Rome and offers both indoor and outdoor thermal pools and a seemingly endless treatment menu. You can choose between plushly traditional or smarter modern accommodation, much of it offering views over the surrounding forested valley. Jump in a car, and you’re just 10 minutes from Oviedo old town.
This spectacular design-led hotel is part of the Oviedo Exhibition & Conference Centre, comprising the most impressive pieces of modern architecture in the city. Interiors are similarly striking, though dialled down a little in the rooms, which lean toward minimalist retro. Many add floor-to-ceiling windows with city vistas. There are fab views from the spa whirlpool tub, too. On-site dining includes an atmospheric bistro, while the numerous eating options of old town Oviedo are a short stroll away.
While on the newer side of town, Hotel Silken Monumental Naranco is still within easy walking distance of the central Campo San Francisco park. It’s also one of the few hotels in Oviedo with an indoor swimming pool, located underground together with a sauna and a gym. Rooms come with big adjustable beds, and upgrades include perks such as bathrobes and Mount Naranco views. Head to the Restaurant El Monumental for traditional Asturian fare.
With a shimmering wave of mirrored glass, it’s hard to miss the Exe Oviedo Centro as you enter the city from the north. It’s also an easy stroll from the main train and bus stations, making it popular with business and leisure travellers. Rooms reflect this, with their cosy-yet-conservative decor; upgrade to a top-floor suite for perks that include hydromassage tubs and city-view terraces. Wake up to a complimentary breakfast buffet before a brisk walk into the old town, which is around 10 minutes on foot.
Hotel and Spa Princesa Munia sits in the centre of Oviedo, surrounded by leafy parks and historic monuments. As the name suggests, it’s a hotel fit for royalty. The rooms are spacious, decorated in natural tones of cream and biscuit, which are complemented by designer lampshades and sleek gold and wooden furniture. The most impressive feature, however, is the luxurious spa – a calming space bathed in baby pink and blue lighting and featuring everything from a hydromassage pool to swan neck jets, rain showers and an ice fountain. There are also rooms for massages, indulgent rituals and body scrubs.
Sister hotel to the Hotel and Spa Princesa Munia opposite, this slightly more low-key property still has plenty to recommend it. It occupies a sensitively restored 19th-century building in the historic heart of Oviedo, just steps from the leafy central plaza. Rooms are finished in soothing neutral tones with natural touches and big comfy beds that include a choice of pillows. The in-house bistro extends to a buzzy streetside terrace, plus you’ll have access to the spa facilities just across the road.
IBERIK Hotel Santo Domingo Plaza sits on the southeastern edge of the city, close to the Rodriga Gardens. Classy and stylish, it’s set around an atrium-like garden filled with plants, decorative umbrellas and a piano. Rooms are elegant, with neutral tones and colour pops in the soft furnishings. There’s also a breakfast buffet plus a gym and a small cafe.
Sandwiched between two black-glass towers, the handsomely restored facade of this century-old mansion stands out. Inside, it is sleek and polished, with smart-yet-inviting spaces and moody low lighting. Design-led guest rooms offer high-end comforts in the form of high-thread-count sheets and extra-thick towels. Breakfast is a highlight, with an emphasis on seasonal superfoods and organic produce. In-house dining continues throughout the day, with a fun tapas bar and exotic-themed restaurant brimming with plant life.
The four-star Gran Hotel España is in the historic centre of Oviedo, right next to the Oviedo Cathedral, the Archaeological Museum of Asturias and the Museum of Fine Arts. Rooms are classic and simple, painted in lemon yellow and decorated with old black-and-white photos of Oviedo; most also have a balcony or small terrace. Head to the Mestura restaurant for Mediterranean cuisine, and the Black Bar for a classy cocktail.
Ayre Hotel Oviedo makes quite a statement with a futuristic look, flashy lights and contemporary sculptures. It was designed by architect Santiago Calatrava, who also designed the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia and the undulating Bodega Ysios in La Rioja. The Ayre facade looks like a huge spaceship, framed by a giant triangle, while the interior (rooms included) is decorated with futuristic fluorescent lighting. The hotel also has a gym and spa with city views and the innovative El Bistró restaurant.
The Eurostars Hotel de la Reconquista, built in 1752, looks much like a grand palace, although it was once a children’s hospice and residence. The building was transformed into a luxury hotel in the 1970s by architects Sainz de Vicuña and Fernández Cuevas. Set around a huge courtyard, rooms and public spaces are fit for royalty with glittering chandeliers, four-poster beds, high ceilings and grand furniture. There’s also a small gym, a breakfast buffet room and a gourmet restaurant.
Esme Fox contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.