In Andalucia, Spain, Granada was the final stronghold of the Moors, who left an extraordinary legacy. Throughout the maze-like streets, discover a wealth of Islamic-infused architecture, including the grand Alhambra. But it’s a modern city, too, with bustling cafes, tapas bars and colourful street art. Whatever draws you here, treat yourself to a fancier stay at one of these top luxury hotels – bookable on Culture Trip.
How about staying in a grand 19th-century mansion on the edge of the old town? This hotel, once the home of a sugar magnate, is all about luxury. The rooms – split between the main building and a glass-panelled annexe – have original neoclassical flourishes and elaborate ceilings. Elsewhere, a deluxe spa demands your time for a day of pampering, while the hotel’s restaurant fuses Spanish gastronomy with Asian twists.
This five-star hotel combines a restored 16th-century convent with a 12th-century townhouse, resulting in a unique stay. Rooms lean towards smart and modern, with wooden floors and up-to-date technology. Hoping to visit the top attractions in the city? Its location in the historic centre puts you within an easy stroll of the historical Triunfo Garden and Archaeological Museum of Granada.
The Parador de Granada, within the Alhambra complex, has one of the best settings. It sits inside a former Moorish palace, which served as a convent in the 15th century, so historical features delight wherever you wander – think Arabian and Medieval Spanish influences. Expect fully modernised rooms, many with spectacular views over the grounds and beyond.
Combining an enviable hillside setting, grand architecture and palatial interiors, the Hotel Alhambra Palace is among the most spectacular hotels in Granada. Indeed, this five-star property has hosted a roll call of A-listers, from kings and queens to Hollywood royalty. If you can tear your gaze away from the ornate decor, take in vistas from numerous vantage points; many plush rooms and suites offer spectacular views of Granada and the forest of the Alhambra.
Elegant brick arches, crystal chandeliers and soaring Moorish architecture set the tone for a stay in this hotel on the outskirts of the city centre. Savvy Granada residents flock here for the outstanding restaurant, Gran Patio La Acequia, which serves up a menu of international flavours in spectacular surroundings. Elsewhere, smartly understated guest rooms come with Arabian touches, modern amenities and king-size beds.
In the middle of the central shopping lanes in Granada, this upscale hotel puts the best of the city on your doorstep. Step inside to find a playful mix of zebra-print seating and striking tones among period features such as marble tiling and an elegant spiral staircase. Rooms are as contemporary as they are cosy, with some offering great cityscape views. If you’re planning on an extended stay, the studio suites are a great option.
The Hotel Saray blends soaring modern architecture with resort-style facilities and flamboyant Moorish interiors. With fountain water features, a pool and a poolside bar set within its exotic gardens, its outdoor space is a highlight. Decor sobers up in the rooms, with upper levels affording some great views. Its location opposite the conference centre means it’s a popular pick with business types, though you can also reach the historic centre on foot in around 20 minutes.
The Suites Gran Via 44 overlooks the main tree-lined avenida (avenue) that runs through the centre of Granada. Besides the rather colourful lounge, all the facilities are contained within each of the luxury apartment-style units. Rooms come with up-to-date kitchenettes and living-dining rooms, as well as separate bedrooms with top-quality bedding and pillow menus. Splash out for perks such as Bluetooth speakers and speedy wifi. And, if you’re feeling lazy, you can have breakfast delivered to your room.
If you prefer smart, contemporary lodgings over the raft of historical options, the Occidental Granada offers just that. Outside the historic centre and with underground parking, it’s also far more practical if you’re travelling by car – though, it’s still within easy reach of the top attractions. It’s all very fresh and modern throughout, with straightforward rooms that can also accommodate families with kids. The on-site Jamar Gastrobar offers traditional fare with a twist, and there’s a barbershop if you fancy a trim.
This sleek modern hotel in the heart of the city’s shopping district is characterised by low-lit spaces, wood panelling and a healthy smattering of colourful artwork. An urban-centre hotel, there’s not much in the way of leisure facilities, though the well-designed rooms are spacious and have all the comforts you’d expect from an upscale chain hotel. You’re just steps from numerous restaurants and bars; however, room service is available if you’d rather stay in.
If you’re not yet sold on Granada, let us give you plenty of reasons why you should visit the Spanish city in your lifetime. Be sure to fill up at one of the scenic rooftop restaurants in the city centre before heading to a bustling bar to kick off the night. Check out these boutique hotels for an indulgent stay or options designed for every traveller – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.