Synonymous with Michelin-starred restaurants and luxury seaside hotels, San Sebastián is one of Spain’s most expensive – and enjoyable – cities to visit.
You don’t have to spend a fortune on accommodation to immerse yourself in this Basque city’s dynamic foodie culture, which centres on bite-sized open sandwiches called pintxos. From cosy boutiques to party-loving surf camps, here’s our pick of the best hostels and B&Bs in this classy coastal destination – bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Candidate for the best hostel in Spain, surfers are particularly well catered for at this hostel in the hip Gros neighbourhood: board storage and gear-rental facilities are available and Playa de La Zurriola, San Sebastián’s main surfing beach, is a five-minute stroll away. Occupying a former car repair workshop, its warehouse-like doubles, family rooms and dorms feature windows with thick black frames, black leather sofas, whitewashed brick walls and private bathrooms. All include breakfast, and access to paid parking is just down the road – for easy exploring, hire a bike from reception.
Kitted out with wall-mounted surfboards, exposed piping and mismatched furniture, Koisi’s bar offers a mean tortilla and a great selection of fruit smoothies and craft beers. Also on-site are the rooftop terrace, a common room with board games, a library and a bike rental service. Accommodation consists of double and family rooms and mixed or female-only dorms with box bunks – all have their own bathrooms with gleaming subway tiles, and most have great sea or mountain views.
A top choice for sociable solo travellers, this hostel’s activity offering includes cider house dinners, pintxo-making classes, jogging trips and pintxo tours of the bar-packed Gros neighbourhood. In quieter moments, perfect your yoga on the roof terrace or settle down with a book in a typically Basque lounge of chunky stone walls and wooden beams. Modern dorms and double rooms have shared bathrooms, and let in tons of natural light through their tall, wooden-shuttered windows.
The pub at this surf-mad hostel is a street food specialist – try the sandwich of Texan-style pulled pork, caramelised onions and home-made BBQ sauce wedged between slices of artisanal brioche. Situated a block back from Playa de La Zurriola, Etxea also offers a surfing school which caters to all levels, day trips to Cantabria’s best surf spots, and surf-skating tours around the city. Private doubles and shared dorms showcase specially commissioned works by local artists.
This hostel’s brightly lit, open-plan living space features a huge, Dali-esque mural of a whale – balea in Basque – as well as a kitchen and dining area, old-school furniture and table football. Sleep on pinewood bunks in compact dorms, all of which have their own reading lights and sockets. The hostel is situated in the residential quarter of Loiola, a 40-minute walk to the centre and beaches – or a 10-minute ride on the bus that stops outside every 30 minutes.
Individually themed doubles and six-person dorms at this ecofriendly hostel take upcycling to a new level. The bedside tables are made with retro suitcases and traveller’s chests, while the home-made bunk beds and headboards are fashioned from reclaimed shutters. It’s situated on Calle 31 de Agosto in the Old Town – the only street in the city that survived the siege of 1813. Staff offer detailed recommendations for everything from cocktail and pintxo bars to nearby hiking trails.
Package surfing breaks don’t come much better than at this party-loving, adrenaline-fuelled academy and hostel. Daily classes are held on the beach of nearby Zarautz, after which you’re free to join yoga sessions or hiking trips, play beach games or meet other travellers back at the converted farmhouse. Amenities include a skate ramp, a huge garden with BBQ, and a palette-and-bamboo bar serving unlimited beer and sangria. San Sebastian is just a 30-minute drive away.
This couple-run boutique offers rooms in which statement walls of red, purple and blue are complemented by exposed stone and hardwood floors. Whether you choose a larger double – complete with terrace, sink, power shower and shared WC – or a smaller ensuite, you’ll have access to a communal kitchen. Fill up with a bright red Smeg fridge, microwave and brekkie essentials such as jams, milk and cereal. Playa de La Zurriola is a block away and it’s a 10-minute walk to the Old Town.
This is a rewrite of an article originally by Esme Fox.
Bagged a budget-friendly break in San Sebastián? There are plenty more beautiful spots in Spain to discover. Start by checking out our expertly curated guide to the best hostels in Seville.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.