Though it may be lesser-known than its Balearic brother Mallorca, the island of Menorca has just as many sun-warmed beaches, tranquil harbours and pretty waterfront restaurants. It’s also far quieter, with miles of untouched countryside, traditional villages and secluded coves for swimming. Best of all? There’s no need to spend a fortune to enjoy it – choose one of these reasonably priced hotels to holiday in style for less.
If city living appeals, book this gorgeous, ten-room boutique hotel in Ciutadella with restaurants, shops and attractions right on the doorstep. Decorated in a simple, rustic style, rooms come with whitewashed stone walls, hand-crafted furnishings, wicker accents and spa-like bathrooms. Some overlook the old town or have their own terrace, and one – which sleeps four – has a private kitchen, making it a great option for families.
Sea views don’t have to come at a premium: choose this aparthotel on the waterfront, just outside beautiful Ciutadella. The building features one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, so is perfect if you’re travelling as a group; all have living rooms and full kitchens, so you can cook at home and cut costs. There’s also a swimming pool, bike hire, restaurant and snack bar, and even a supermarket for stocking up on essentials.
It may be small, but this charming hotel in the centre of Ciutadella packs plenty of thoughtful details. There’s an extensive collection of art across the building from some of Menorca’s top artists; coffee and home-made cake available throughout the day; and a fridge for stashing your own drinks. A three-storey house down a traditional cobbled street, the hotel has just seven rooms, including one with access to a private rooftop terrace.
Go from breakfast to the beach in moments at this hotel, steps from the sand at Arenal d’en Castell. There’s no need to splash out on dining either, as every studio apartment comes with a fully equipped kitchen, including dishwasher, filtered water tap and hob. Each sleep two people and have a balcony or garden for you to soak in the Mediterranean views.
This tiny city bolthole in the heart of Maó is run by a Menorcan family, and is just five minutes’ walk from the port. It has five stylish rooms, including three suites, where children under four stay for free. One has an in-room bathtub, if you want to really spoil yourself, while a hearty, locally sourced breakfast is included with all stays.
Stay close to city sights while guaranteeing peace and quiet by choosing this beautiful guesthouse, ten minutes’ drive from historic Ciutadella. Popular attractions and restaurants are within easy reach, while the hotel is also close to an 18-hole golf course and is surrounded by an 11-acre (4.5ha) park. It has a swimming pool, outdoor living room, hammam, tennis court and weekly guest barbecue, too.
A chic, city-break hideaway, this Instagrammable hotel looks over the Menorcan capital’s terracotta rooftops and whitewashed buildings. There are eight brilliant-white rooms, but the surprisingly affordable penthouse is the star, with its own honesty bar, huge terrace with daybeds, and rooftop jacuzzi. Weekend breaks don’t get much more stylish.
You’ll feel like you have your very own home in Menorca if you book this six-room hotel, based in a 19th-century stately home in Ciutadella. There’s no traditional front desk, although breakfast from the local market is served each day on the ground floor. There’s also a coffee machine, free newspapers, and fruit to grab and go, while the modern rooms feel like loft apartments, with exposed ceiling beams, mosaic or parquet floors and swish industrial touches.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Tara Jessop.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.