Food is a way of life in Madrid. The city’s ubiquitous cervercerías, packed full of locals every hour of the day, are a testament to the Madrileños’ passion for eating. From modern organic cafes to quintessentially Spanish tabernas and bustling Sunday markets, Madrid promises a culinary experience that will open your mind to true Spanish dining.
Madrid’s Cultural Eateries
Cafè el Mar (Tiendita Organica)
Were it not for the original tiling of a Salon de Peluqueria that continues to adorn the entrance, you could easily walk past the Café el Mar. But if you peer inside, you will discover a quaint haven of organic eating. Since its opening a year ago, the Café el Mar has been promoting its ecological culture, offering a predominantly vegetarian menu along with speciality teas and home baked goods. Tucked away in the corner of the shop you will find the Tiendita Organica selling organic produce including the vegetarian hamburgers that feature on the menu, and rustic crates cradling locally grown fruit and vegetables. Glowing with a love for all things natural, the café transports its guests to the countryside with the odd sound effects of cows mooing and birds chirping. This is the ultimate farm kitchen in the heart of the city.
To visit Spain without indulging in a cup of hot churros would be like going to Italy without having a gelato. And there are plenty of churrerias in Madrid to help you find Spain’s sweet staple, including the newly opened D’Ch. This tiny modern vendor is solely dedicated to serving freshly made churros twenty-four hours a day. With various options ranging from a cup of five churros with chocolate sauce or D’Churro Rellano (filled with chocolate) for €1, and the D’Ch Nata with ice cream for €2, the guests are truly spoilt for choice.
Very few bars are emblematic of their neighbourhoods. And yet, La Inquilina is a vibrant melting pot of food, culture and soul. Immerse yourself in this espacio creativo where art and food coexist in harmony, and creative freedom thrives alongside chilled cañas and tapas. Served in traditional terracotta bowls, the tapas are available for €1 each, and in three varieties to choose from, making this buzzing cove perfect for all thrifty and curious visitors. Most of Madrid’s bars offer more than just food and drink, and La Inquilina embodies this tradition by hosting photography and art exhibitions, micro theatre productions and dramatic monologues.
Taberna Tirso de Molina
Sharing its name with its very home, the Taberna Tirso de Molina certainly stands out as the heart of the plaza. Brimming full of Madrileños, its outside terrace makes for a perfect backdrop against the evening sun, and conversation surrounding the ritual of tomar. Despite the French-inspired façade, which makes it easily mistaken for a Parisian-style tavern, the taberna’s menu couldn’t be more Spanish. The Choriza a la sidra available as a tapa for €5, is a speciality to savour alongside a chilled glass of tinto verano for €2,40.
Rarely in Madrid can you follow your nose from half way down a street, the succulent scent of pollo asado gripping the senses, and be lead to the city’s many rotisseries. But with its rotisserie in full motion early in the morning, Las Chicas is certainly the exception that fills Madrid’s streets with the comforting aroma of its famous roast chicken dish, available from €3,55 for half a chicken por llevar. One of the liveliest culinary hubs of the city, Las Chicas is unbeatable for value and the best pollo asado experience Madrid has to offer.
Madrid’s Sunday Markets
Spain‘s capital never sleeps – not even on Sunday mornings. A morning stroll around Madrid will lead you to the city’s markets, where local crafts and delicious fresh produce at bargain prices are sure to sweep you off your feet. Here are our favourite weekend markets in Madrid.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ciento y pico (Mercado de diseño y artesanía y creatividad)
Whilst hordes of tourists flock to El Rastro Mercado every Sunday, divert in the opposite direction towards Malasaña barrio instead and explore the Ciento y Pico Mercado de diseño y artesanía y creatividad. Ever since its launch in July, this quirky collection of stalls has been thriving with artisan goods and crafts every weekend. As you roam through this mini maze of local creativity, look out for Afri’s Cookies; scrumptious petite treats freshly made to order. Also among the array of artisan designers are Delia Cruz whose ingenious handbag design is inspired by DNA, and Tes Bijoux’s unique accessories.
From Friday to Sunday once a month, but check dates on the website.
Open Sundays and Public Holidays from 8:00-15:00.
By Esha Chaman
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.