La Rioja is Spain’s best wine region, and its largest producing one too. Located in the north of the country, just below the Basque Country, it has approximately 63,593 hectares of vineyards and produces 280 to 300 million litres of wine per year. Here are some of the best wines to try from La Rioja.
La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva
La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva is a red wine made from Tempranillo and Graciano grapes, grown in 60-year-old vineyards in the villages of Briñas, Labastida and Villalba. It has a cherry-red colour and is a bright and clean wine with notes of cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate, with coffee-caramel aftertaste. The Gran Reserva 904 from 2007 was a particularly good year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cirsion is a red wine from the Bodegas Roda in the town of Haro, made from 100% Tempranillo grapes and aged in French oak barrels. It has a deep purplish colour and aromas of dark red fruits, damp earth, violets, chocolate and mint, eucalyptus and smoke. The 2004, 2009 and 2010 vintages were excellent years.
Baron de Chirel
Baron de Chirel is made by the Marqués de Riscal winery – one of the oldest in La Rioja. It was first created in 1986, from vines that were around 100 years old. It has a dark cherry colour with spicy aromas of toasted French oak and red berries. The wine goes well with ham, mature cheeses, wild game and spicy sauces.
Viña El Pisón
Viña El Pisón is an elegant wine made by the Bodegas y Viñedos Artadi, located just outside the village of Guardia. It is made from Tempranillo grapes and has aromas of ripe black fruit and toasted notes. The wine is aged for 13 months in French oak barrels and pairs well with roasts, grilled meat, stews and cured cheese. 2014 was one of its best years.
One of La Rioja’s newer wineries that has made a great name for itself is Contador, founded in 1995 by Benjamín Romeo, when the wines were made in his parents’ garage and aged in caves beneath the Castle of San Vicente de la Sonsierra. Today, the wines are made in a new, state-of-the-art winery, built into the hillside. The Contador wine of the same name is made from Temperanillo grapes and is aged for 18 months – it features notes of blackberry and spice. 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015 were all good years, but the best award-winning Contador wines were the 2004 and 2005 vintages.
Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva
Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva is made by the famous López de Heredia Viña Tondonia winery in the town of Haro. It’s made from a mix of Tempranillo, Garnacho, Mazuelo and Graciano grapes and is a very dry, rich, bright red wine with notes of vanilla and berries. 1995 was one of its best years, and it goes well with red meats.
Viña Real Rioja Blanco
La Rioja is famous for its red wines, however it does produce a few excellent whites too. The Rioja Blanco from Viña Real is made from Viura and Malvasia grapes. It’s a pure wine with floral and citrus aromas, notes of grapefruit and subtle toasted and biscuit flavours from the American oak barrels it’s stored in. It pairs well with paellas and seafood.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.