In Madrid and out of ideas what to do or not quite sure where to go besides the usual tourist attractions? Buckle up, for we have the ultimate guide to Madrid’s most original and intriguing places.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Microteatro Por Dinero
How about you give the Microteatro por Dinero a try? Every day, five ‘micro-plays’ are staged simultaneously, every 15 minutes. You will be in an audience of around 15 people, watching a play which usually stars two actors, performing for no more than 20 minutes.Even if your Spanish isn’t perfect, this experience will be worth taking the linguistic plunge for.
Campo de la Cebada
The Campo de la Cebada does not look like much when it’s closed, consisting of little more than the foundations of an old swimming pool and some wooden stands, it is in fact the melting pot of different people which bring this occupied public space to life.
Círculo de Bellas Artes
If you’re looking for a place bursting with atmosphere, head for the Circulo de Bellas Artes. In its building on the beautiful Calle del Alcalá it not only hosts wonderful art exhibitions of all schools and styles, but it also has a lovely café on street level, decorated with antique-themed sculptures, as well as a breathtaking rooftop terrace with a stunning view over the roofs of Madrid.
Closed-down Chamberí station
Go visit the eerie closed-down Metro station of Chamberí, once having been the last stop of the Línea 1, the first Metro line ever to have run in Madrid. Learn all there is to know about the fascinating history of the Madrid Metro as you visit the 97 year-old tunnels, now turned into an interactive museum.
Real-life escape room games are non virtual adventures, in which the daring participants are locked into a room, given a mission and clues and are only allowed to use their brain cells and nerve to escape. So what are you waiting for? Grab your friends and test your brains. Establishments such as Escape Room, The Exit-Game, Enigma Express, The Rombo Code offer outrageous scenarios also available in English!
The existence of many hidden gardens right in the bustling center of Madrid often goes unnoticed. The Huerto de las Monjas, for example, once a pristine retreat for nuns of the convent it belonged to, now lies hidden behind inconspicuous apartment buildings. If you are looking for refreshment, the café on the patio of the Museo del Romanticísmo will allure all your senses with delicious homemade cakes and tarts in an almost surreal atmosphere of quiet contemplation.
A great way to pick up some Madrid flair is by meandering through one of the many markets it has to offer every weekend. If you’re lucky, you might catch the Mercado de los Motores, which opens every second weekend of the month. Vintage-lovers, pioneers of fashion and adorers of design will feel beguiled as they rummage through the pleasant Camden-style market in the breathtaking hall of the old train station Delicias.
Take a Trip
Magnificent monasteries and enchanting castles, not even speaking of the sublime forests and mountains of the Sierra de Guadarramá, all at an hours reach. These sights might be outside of the city, but they are still inside the Community of Madrid. So don’t hesitate and enjoy your very own, extended Madrid experience.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.