Perhaps the most iconic street in Barcelona, La Rambla is delightfully charming and wondrous. Read on to discover five reasons everyone should be spending more time on this classic Barcelona landmark.
It’s a Vibrant, Multicultural Melting Pot
That’s right, La Rambla is one of the most multicultural areas in Barcelona, regularly visited by millions of people from across the world. On any given day, you can expect to bump into people (literally) from at least 40 different countries (according to best estimates). Grab a seat on one of the many relaxing restaurant terraces and brush up on your language skills: German, Italian, Mandarin, Japanese — you name it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s a True Foodie Paradise
Choose from one of the many authentic eateries, most of which offer an impressively wide selection of dishes from Spain and beyond on one menu. Paella? No problem. Pizza? No problem. Burger and fries? No problem. Conveniently, the menus in most places will be very similar so don’t worry if you don’t get a seat at your first choice; you’re more than likely to find exactly the same food offering at the next one.
It’s a Great Place to Meet New People
Given the sheer volume of people aimlessly walking on La Rambla every day, you’re nearly guaranteed to find yourself striking up a conversation with someone if you spend enough time there. It’s more than likely that you will be approached within minutes by a bewildered tourist looking for the nearest bullring, or that bar where Picasso usually hangs out. And of course, you might find someone literally reaching out to you — don’t be surprised.
It’s Home to Some of the Most Unique Plant Varieties
This often overlooked feature of La Rambla is one that only the true nature-lovers will really appreciate. While there are plenty of botanical gardens and parks to explore in the city of Barcelona and the surrounding areas, La Rambla is home to some astoundingly rare varieties, such as the Capsicum annuum var. annuum, also known as the Peter pepper. Another star of La Rambla’s floral stage is the Clitoria ternatea flower, whose Latin name gives a lot away when it comes to the flower’s unique shape.
No One Knows Why It’s So Great
That’s right. So powerful is the draw of La Rambla that most visitors won’t even be able to tell you what makes it great — it just is. Is it the warm, friendly atmosphere? Is it the peace and tranquility that comes with strolling on La Rambla? Is it the authenticity of the many shops and restaurants that you can find there? No one really knows, and no one really cares. La Rambla is La Rambla, and that’s all that really matters.
By The Culture Trip Barcelona Team
If you enjoyed our very special April Fools’ article but are looking for some more, ahem, reliable recommendations on where to spend your time in Barcelona, why not check out this piece on the best things to do and see in Sant Antoni, or this piece on the best restaurants in Poble-Sec. And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for live updates and recommendations throughout the day!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.