Looking for a great gift from Spain to surprise your friends and family with? Whether you’re looking for an easy stocking stuffer, or something to really impress that special someone with, we’ve compiled a list of the most original gift ideas to bring back home from the Spanish shores this holiday season.
A paella dish
One of Spain’s most iconic dishes – and cooking instruments – a paella is a great gift for anyone who likes to get a little adventurous in the kitchen. Be sure to also include a packet of arroz bomba, the special rice used to cook paella, and check what the pan is made of – carbon steel is the most traditional.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Price: from €45 for a good one
Where: La Tienda
FC Barcelona Shirt
Spain is home to one of the most famous football clubs in the world ever, the Catalan capital’s FC Barcelona. They are the second most popular team in the world – after fellow Spaniards Real Madrid – so chances are the sports fans in your family will be delighted to get their very own blaugrana shirt.
Price: from €85
Where: FC Barcelona Online Store
This sweet treat of the nougat family is made using a selection of nuts, especially almonds, and is traditionally enjoyed in Spain around Christmas time. Most places will sell a selection pack with a number of different turrón, from brittle to soft, great for anyone with a sweet tooth.
Price: from €10 a bar
Where: The Sirvent Turrón store
A Bottle of Vermouth de Reus
This fortified wine is undergoing something of a revival in Barcelona, where it’s served in hip bars and restaurants across the city. The home of vermouth in Spain is the Catalan town of Reus, where some of the oldest producers in the country are still in operation today.
Price: from €51 for 4 bottles
Where: Vermuts Miró
This fiery condiment is sprinkled over crisps, olives and tinned seafood all over Barcelona and makes for a great stocking filler for anyone who likes to spice things up a little. Made from a mixture of vinegar, pepper and spices, Espinaler sauce was the invention of a local tapas bar, The Espinaler.
Price: €5 for 250-milliliter bottle
Perhaps the most famous of Spanish foods, Jamón Ibérico is the finest of cured hams and is especially appreciated when it is bellota, meaning that the pigs have been fed on acorns, giving the meat a distinctive nutty flavor. If you’re thinking of purchasing a whole ham, consider a paleta, the front leg of the pig – smaller and easier to pack than a hind leg.
Price: €223 for a paleta or €595 for a jamón
Where: Joselito (one of the best in the world)
Another great Spanish culinary classic, Manchego cheese is one of the most recognized and appreciated Spanish cheeses in the world. The real deal is made with sheep’s milk from the La Mancha region and matured for any length of time between 60 days to two years – the older the firmer.
Price: from €10 a kilo
A far cry from the crumby, tinned tuna you mix with mayo to fill your sandwiches with, Spanish tinned seafood is a delicacy which is enjoyed as part of a meal or aperitif. For something tasty and traditional, try a tin of mejillones en escabeche, mussels preserved in a spiced vinegar and tomato preparation. Alternatively, a tin of Ortiz boquerones – large white anchovies with a milder flavor than the black ones – is another great classic.
Price: €6 for an 80-gram packet
These traditional cloth shoes originate from the region of the Pyrenees, between Spain and France, where they have been worn by locals for centuries. Today, local designers have revisited the class espadrille and there are many modern colors and motifs available for your more fashion-conscious friends.
Price: from €10
This is one for those with a sense of humor: the caganer is a small, bare-bottomed, pooping figurine which appears in Catalan nativity scenes and is said to represent the basic equality of all men. Nowadays the caganer has ditched its traditional attire and you can find everything from Angela Merkel to Obi-Wan Kenobi caganers.
Price: from €5
Where: from a local Christmas market or online
A bottle of Jerez
Dry, medium, sweet… Spanish sherry comes in a variety of different flavors that work perfectly either as an aperitif (offer a dry manzanilla with some salty almonds) or with dessert (a syrupy Pedro Ximénez goes down like a treat with some chocolate). Only sherry made in the region around Jerez de la Frontera can carry the official D.O. Jerez appellation.
Price: from €8 a bottle
A pestle and mortar
This simple cooking instrument has been used in kitchens for centuries and here in Spain it is an essential tool for any chef. Used for more than just grinding spices, in Spain a pestle and mortar serves to prepare a number of condiments and sauces, not least the famous aioli.
Price: from €10
Where: any ferretería in Spain or online
An olive wood chopping board
The largest olive oil producer in the world, Spain is home to some 300 million olive trees and, while a bottle of expensive olive oil is a great idea for a gift, an artisan chopping board made from olive wood will last much longer and is much more original.
Price: from €50
Spain has a long history of ceramics, from the functional to the aesthetic, and continues to export several tons of earthenware products each year. For something sturdy and simple, opt for a terracotta oven dish. For something a little more sophisticated, try an ornate plate from the famous town of El Puente del Arzobispo.
Price: from €20
Where: La Tienda
Considered the most luxurious of spices, and often said to cost more per weight than gold, saffron features heavily in Spanish cuisine – and is cultivated here too, among other places. Considered slightly inferior to Iranian saffron, Spanish saffron is more affordable, but remains of fantastic quality and is a great gift idea when size is an issue.
Price: €33 for 5 grams
Where: Azafranes Manchegos (a D.O. ‘protected origin’ label)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.