In the age of Facebook and Instagram it seems everywhere that’s worth visiting is already in guide books before you’ve even had chance to visit. Fortunately, in a city like Barcelona, there’s so much on offer that it’s possible to find hidden gems before they become victims of their own success. Here are 13 of our favourite spots in Barcelona which you need to check out now.
A warm welcome, a real neighbourhood feel and incredibly cheap prices are what make La Bodega d’en Rafael a real local favourite. Located just opposite the Sant Antoni market, this cozy tapas bar serves a variety of humble every day dishes and serves as the neighbourhood meeting point from first thing in the morning to late at night.
While green spaces are not abundant in Barcelona, there are nevertheless some remarkable public gardens. If the Park Ciutadella is the most famous – and consequently the busiest – others such as the Mossèn Costa i Lobrera gardens are often overlooked. The gardens are populated with hundreds of varieties of cacti and succulent plants and is one of the largest of its kind in Europe.
Carrer Peu de la Creu
If El Born is known as the place to shop for independent designers and artisan boutiques, there is a handful of fantastic stores located around the Carrer Peu de la Creu in El Raval. Grey Street is an independently run boutique concept store which sells everything from jewellery to underwear, crockery and posters. While across the road at Antique Store you’ll find original vintage and retro furniture from the fifties, sixties and seventies.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
These days public buildings often prioritise functionality over aesthetics which makes the Arús public library all the more remarkable. Originally a private home and a Freemason lodge and library, the building was saved from destruction during the Franco dictatorship only to be opened to the public as a library after Franco’s death. It’s wooden shelves and glass-fronted cabinets are filled with ancient manuscripts and the whole thing feels as if it were taken straight out of a Harry Potter novel.
If superlatives are what you’re after when assessing a place then look away: Els Sortidors del Parlament is neither the oldest, nor the coolest, nor the cheapest. It is however a respectable tapas bar serving quality cured meats and cheeses, with a wide range of wines by the bottle and beers on tap, all in a warm, inviting setting with friendly staff. A combination of elements which isn’t always that easy to find in Barcelona these days.
Another public building which packs a stylistic punch, the Can Deu Civic Centre is a sumptuous Modernist mansion which was erected in the 19th century. Commissioned by local spirit distiller and merchant Josep Deu i Estacó, the building was briefly occupied by militias during the Spanish Civil War before later coming under ownership of the local council in 1984. As well as organising events, workshops and shows, there is also a café located on the ground floor with a leafy courtyard.
Once the industrial heart of Barcelona, today Poblenou’s warehouses are more likely to be home to artists’ studios than sweatshops. Yet it’s not all art galleries and concepts stores, with places like the Bodega J Cala seeming firmly grounded in the time of days gone by. Open only during lunchtime, the bodega specialises in vermouth, which is stored in wooden barrels behind the bar, and serves marinated anchovies that have people coming from far and wide to this often overlooked part of town.
As you approach this high-rise building located on the far north edge of Barcelona, you wouldn’t expect to find a cutting-edge art centre located on the 16th floor of the building. Piramidón was founded with the mission of giving artists a space to work within Barcelona and to help promote their work to a wider audience – a studio and an art gallery. Visitors can admire a collection of resident artists’ work on show but also get to know the artists themselves through public talks and events.
Named quite simply after its location in the first flat of the fifth floor of an apartment block round the corner from Plaça Catalunya, 5º1ª is unlike any hair salon you’ll find in the city. Walk through the door on a Friday or Saturday and you’re more than likely to have a cocktail thrust upon you in minutes. Possibly the most exclusive salon in Barcelona, the price list is fully disclosed on the website so there are no unpleasant surprises.
Old leather sofas, wooden floors, a rocking chair that looks like it’s been here forever, an old school map on the wall… sounds like every millenial’s dream, right? Located on Passeig Sant Joan, not far from Plaça Tetuan, Granja Petitbo is an all-day café and eatery serving contemporary home-cooking from breakfast to dinnertime, including plenty of eggs and hearty pasta dishes as well home-made cakes.
If you’re going to have only four tapas on your menu then you’re going to want to make sure they’re good. The fact that the likes of great catalan chef Ferran Adrià have patronised the Bar La Plata can only attest to the fact that they’re on to something good. Possibly one of the few remaining authentic tapas bars in the Gothic Quarter, the Bar La Plata may not be the best kept secret in town but does considerably well at retaining its authentic spirit and charm considering its location.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.