No trip to Valencia would be complete without the City of Arts and Sciences, or la Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias. This ultra-modern scientific and cultural complex is the largest of its kind in Europe, and it is fast becoming the city’s most recognisable symbol. Here are ten facts you might not know about it.
The entire complex was designed by homegrown talent. Valencian architect Santiago Calatrava was responsible for most of the design, along with another Spanish architect, Félix Candela.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It took nearly a decade to build
Work began on the first part of the complex, L’Hemisfèric, in July 1996. The last building to be completed was the Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia. It was inaugurated on Valencian Community Day, October 9, 2005.
It cost €900 million
The project was expected to cost €300 million, but went three times over budget, provoking anger from many Valencian people who thought it was a waste of public money. To this day you’ll find many locals have mixed feelings about the complex.
12 Treasures of Spain
Valencia’s City of Arts and Sciences has been voted one of the 12 Treasures of Spain (Los 12 Tesoros de España) in a public poll created by Spanish media, ranking alongside world-famous sights like the Sagrada Família in Barcelona and Granada’s famous Alhambra.
TV and film
The futuristic landscape is perfect for the big screen. A Doctor Who episode was filmed here and the complex was also featured in the George Clooney film Tomorrowland.
Europe’s largest aquarium
The huge Oceanografic is the biggest aquarium in Europe, housing some 500 different species of marine life including dolphins, belugas, sea lions, penguins and sharks, set in seven different marine environments representing various corners of the world including the Mediterranean, the polar oceans and the Red Sea.
Valencia’s explosive main festival Las Fallas comes here every year. Or part of it, at least. The Exposicion del Ninots in February and March each year showcases the 700 intricately-painted wooden figures, or ninots, which will be placed on the giant sculptures to be burnt at the upcoming Fallas festival. The public can vote to save their favourite figure from the flames.
The Umbracle structure is a tropical garden framed by white arches and surrounded by changing art installations. It’s a great vantage point for taking photos of the complex, but more interestingly, during the summer months the space also becomes an open-air nightclub after dark.
One of the buildings is not open to the public. Look for the blue building, known as the Agora – it was formerly used as a venue for the Tennis Open, until the cost of hosting the event proved too much for Valencia. Today it stands empty and closed to the public, although authorities say it will become a multipurpose event space.
In summer each year the grounds of the complex become the venue for the Festival de les Artes, a large local and international indie-focused music festival right in the heart of the city centre.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.