The Slovenian music scene is bursting with creativity. The original sounds of the talented musicians range from indie rock to experimental music played on self-made instruments. Recognition of the bands outside Slovenian borders is just another indicator that these musicians are not to be missed. Culture Trip has selected six up and coming Slovenian bands you really should add to your playlist.
Jardier is one of the most highly praised new bands in Slovenia. The band’s quick rise from playing small crowds to big venues was not surprising. Soothing vocals, rock melodies influenced by folk, blues, and pop, combined with talented musicians is an excellent recipe for success. It was the single Pieces, that first caught the attention of listeners and music critics. With the release of their highly anticipated self titled debut album in 2015, Jardier proved they deserve to be considered one of the top bands on the Slovenian music scene.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Koala Voice first formed as a band in 2010. By the time their debut album, Kangaroo’s a Neighbor, was released in 2015, Koala Voice was already a favorite of listeners and Slovenian music critics. The band’s catchy tunes, described as indie with influences of 70’s pop-rock sounds, also convinced the international audience of their prowess, and today Koala Voice is no stranger to touring in Europe. After the great success of their debut album, the band is set to release their second album Wolkenfabrik, which was produced by Danton Supple who is known for his work with Morrissey, Patti Smith, Ian Brown, and Soulsavers.
Širom describe themselves as an acoustic folk drone avant-garde experimental band. This may seem confusing, however, listening to their music proves this description more than suitable. The multi-instrumentalist trio formed the band in 2015 and a year later Širom released their debut album I. With an original mixture of folk sounds and contemporary acoustic rock style meditations, it did not take long for the band to gain recognition outside Slovenia. In 2017, Širom released their second album I Can Be a Clay Snapper, which has yet again confirmed the great potential of this band.
persons from porlock
The band, persons from porlock, have been creating an alternative sound influenced by the psychedelic rock of the 70s, and garage rock of the 90’s since 2013. Recently they replaced their bass player and ended up with what seems to be a perfect combination of creative minds. The band’s debut album Things People Don’t Like, released in 2016, was well received by listeners and critics and has increased band’s already large fan base. After touring around Slovenia, persons of porlock started reaching out to other European countries and are now making a name for themselves in front of international audiences.
Matter hit the Slovenian music scene in 2015. The young trio found their winning sound in a combination of original electronic beats and atypical lyrics that, more often than not, make no sense. The band explains that it is the feelings and the atmosphere the music creates, that matters the most to them. Matter’s debut album Amphibios, released in 2015, sold out and so did most of their concerts. In September 2017, the band released their second album Mrk, and yet again dazzled their fans and Slovenian music critics.
What started as a solo DJ act in 2011, has now been successfully transformed into the seven-piece band, Leni Kravac. The band’s sound combines elements of drum ’n’ bass, funk, jazz, hip-hop, and Balkan melodies. At the release of their debut album Balconized, in 2015, Leni Kravac headed out on a street tour, where they played “surprise” gigs on the streets of Ljubljana, Belgrade, and Zagreb. Today the band’s signature sound and great stage performance continues to impress fans and music critics from Slovenia and the rest of Europe.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.