A week in Slovenia will give you enough time to discover some of the most popular attractions. The small size of the country means it’s simple to visit two or three destinations on the same day, which makes exploring Slovenia very easy. After seeing the main natural, historical, and cultural attractions, you will be ready to plan your next trip to Slovenia to experience even more of this beautiful country.
Day 1: a day in Ljubljana
Discover Slovenia’s capital, Ljubljana. Join a walking tour of the city or explore the most famous attractions on your own. The Prešeren Monument, dedicated to Slovenia’s most celebrated poet, is an excellent starting point. From there, head across the Triple Bridge, over Ljubljanica River, towards the old part of Ljubljana where the narrow streets reveal the architecture and charm of the medieval era.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stop at the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, Robba Fountain, and the Town House. Make your way back to the river and take a rest stop and feel the local vibe at one of many cafés on the river bank. After your coffee break, visit one of Ljubljana’s many museums and galleries. Complete your day in the capital by attending an event at the outdoor venue Križanke, or by going to a concert at the Metelkova Art Centre.
Prešeren Monument, Prešernov trg, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, Dolničarjeva ulica 1, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Metelkova Art Centre, Metelkova ulica 10, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia,
Day 2: visit the seaside
Spend your day on Slovenia’s beaches. Start your day in Koper. Walk to Tito Square, where buildings showcase the Venetian influence on the town’s history. Visit the City Tower, Praetorian Palace, Foresteria and Armeria, and the bridge-shaped Fountain de Ponte. Before heading out, enjoy a cup of coffee with a sea view at one of the local cafés.
Next stop is Piran, the most beautiful of Slovenia’s seaside towns. Visit Tartini Square and explore the typical narrow streets of Istrian towns. Walk up to the Church of St. George, from where on a sunny day, the view stretches all the way to Croatia. The last stop is Portorož, the liveliest of the three towns. Browsing in one of the many shops, followed by a traditional Istrian dinner at a local restaurant will make for the perfect end to the day.
Day 3: see the horses, Postojna Cave, and visit Lake Bled
Visit Lipica, one of the oldest stud farms in Europe. Since the 16th century, this farm has been breeding the beautiful Lipizzaner horses. On the farm tour, you will get familiar with the history of the breed, visit the horse’s stables, and can watch a display by the Classical riding school.
Continue towards Postojna, to visit Postojna Cave. The incredible Karst creations inside the cave have charmed more than 38 million people, which makes it one of the most-visited attractions in Slovenia. From the underworld, head to Lake Bled. Take a Pletna boat ride to the lake’s island, where you can make a wish while ringing the church bell. Back on shore, the traditional pastry Kremšnita is a must in order to have the true Bled experience.
Day 4: the Soča Valley
The town of Bovec will be your starting point for exploring the Soča Valley, named after the emerald green river that runs through it. A 25km hike on the Soča Trail will let you explore the most beautiful parts of the Valley. You will see the source of the Soča river, fairytale-like hanging bridges, the great Soča Gorge, and more.
If hiking is not what you are looking for, you can head out on one of the cycling trails, or get your adrenaline pumping while you are white water rafting, kayaking, or canoeing on the river.
Day 5: Planica and Škofja Loka
On your way back from Bovec to Ljubljana, drive over Vršič, the highest mountain pass in Slovenia. Soon after you reach the peak, stop at the Russian chapel, a monument commemorating the Russian prisoners who died while building the pass.
Your next destination is Planica Nordic Centre, where you will get your adrenaline going again! A zipline at the centre simulates a ski jump and is the steepest zipline in the world. Your next stop before returning to Ljubljana is Škofja Loka, the best-preserved medieval town in Slovenia. Walk through the old part of the town and stop by the Granary, the Hofman House, the statue of Mother Mary, and take a photo of the beautiful 600-year-old stone bridge. After arriving back to the capital, enjoy a nightcap at one of the bars in downtown Ljubljana.
Day 6: Celje and Maribor
Visit Celje and the famous Celje Castle, which was a permanent residence of the counts of Celje, the most influential dynasty in Slovenia. After the visit to the castle, explore downtown Celje and visit the Princely Palace, where you can learn more about the counts and even see their skulls.
Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant and then head to Maribor. A visit to the Maribor Regional Museum or the National Liberation Museum Maribor will help you learn about the history of the second largest city in Slovenia. On your walk through downtown, stop at Rudolf Maister Statue, Maribor Cathedral, Old City Hall, the Plague Column and make your way to Lent. Located on the bank of Drava River, Lent is home to the oldest vineyard in the world. Visit the Old Vine house and do not miss the opportunity to end your day with a glass of wine by this incredible plant that has been producing grapes for over 400 years.
Visit Ptuj, the oldest Slovenian town and make Ptuj Castle your first stop. The castle hosts several exhibitions including the rifle exhibition, the musical instrument exhibition, and the colourful traditional Pust (carnival) masks exhibition. Make your way to the old part of town, where you can see the Orpheus Monument, the City Tower, City Hall, and Minorite Monastery.
The rest of the day is booked for relaxation. Play a round of golf at the Ptuj Golf Course, located just outside the town or pamper yourself at the Roman-themed spa and wellness at Terme Ptuj.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.