Hell Cave is an ideal destination for exploring the intriguing karst underworld of Slovenia without facing crowds at the more known tourist caves. Hell Cave’s unusual name comes from the local belief that the devil resides in the cave and is responsible for the steam billowing from cave’s dark entrance. On a one-hour guided journey through the cave visitors can admire stalactites, stalagmites, columns, the tallest underground waterfall in Slovenia and other creations that took millions of years to form.
Lake Cerknica is one of the best-kept secrets in Slovenia. This intermittent lake is one of the largest in Europe and a fun place to visit any time of the year. In the eight months a year when it’s filled with water, the lake is great for boating in warmer months or ice-skating in the winter time. In the remaining four months the water descends to the caverns and reservoirs underground, and the area of Lake Cerknica dries out. The dry season is the best time to observe the more than 276 species of birds and 125 species of butterflies that make the lake bed their home.
The Rožanec Mithraeum
Mithraeums were temples dedicated to praising the god Mithras, located across Europe, during the Roman period. The remains of one of the temples was found in Slovenia near the small town Rožanec. The temple was set in an abandoned Roman quarry, dating back to the 2nd century. Visitors of the remains get a unique opportunity to see the hand cut relief of Mithras sacrificing a bull. The Rožanec Mithraeum is a definite must for all history lovers visiting Slovenia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rožanec Mithraeum, Rožanec 20, 8340 Črnomelj, Slovenia
Pokljuka is a karst plateau located in Slovenia’s Triglav National Park. The Plateau, covered in pine tree forest and pastures, is a perfect getaway from those who wish to escape the city life and enjoy peaceful nature. In the summer, Pokljuka is a popular starting point for hikes to the surrounding mountains, and in the winter, it is an important cross-country skiing destination, hosting international biathlon competitions. On long walks across the plateau visitors can observe above ground karst formations and stop by typical shingle-covered wooden cottages for a serving of traditional sour milk.
The spring of Krupa is located nearby the small town of Semič. This small spring emerges from underneath a 98 foot rock and can be admired all year around. This unique spring setting, combined with the surrounding green forest, a short pier on the water, and an abandoned house on the bank, create one of the most fairytale-like places in Slovenia. This stunning setting is a real gem for photographers of all skill levels.
Kostanjeivca na Krki is the smallest town in Slovenia. It is not only the size that makes this town special, it is also the town’s setting that makes it unique. The central part of the town, consisting of only two streets, is located on an artificial island on the Krka river. The must-see tourist attractions in the town are the two churches located on the island, and a former monastery, Fons Sanctae Mariae Cistercian Abbey, is located off the island. The latter is considered the most stunning architectural structure in the town and nowadays hosts the Božidar Jakac Art Museum and the Forma Viva Open Air Wood Sculpture Collection.
Mozirski gaj has been one of the most beautiful flower parks in Slovenia for over thirty years. Between mid-April and the end of September, visitors can stroll among flowerbeds that showcase millions of flower blossoms. Traditional buildings, such as the farmhouse, the blacksmith’s workshop, the bee house, and the mill, are positioned all over the park, portraying traditional life in the region. A special treat for visitors is the 60 foot tall tower they can climb that allows them to admire the gorgeous view of flowers from above.
The Floating Mill on Mura River
In the past, mills were important part of Slovenian everyday life. On the banks of rivers, a special kind of floating mill was used to grind wheat and other grains. With the development of more modern technologies, most of the mills were abandoned or destroyed. Out of the 69 floating mills on the Mura river only Babič Mill survived. Visitors to this still operating mill, have a one of a kind opportunity to step back in time and observe traditional everyday life on a floating mill.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.